Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: First hand at the Final Table - Clash of the Big Stacks

You know this is a really, really good question for those of us with limited FT experience.

First of all, I think I reraise preflop and see what goes down. My guess is he's on a blind steal and lays it down. But since you're here I'm asking myself does a better player than me (which is most) raise all in at the final table with a made hand or is he not wanting you to call?

I think his preflop range is just about any two for a steal. I think if he has pocket nines, he slow plays. If he has A2, an all in move is certainly a possibility.

I'm gonna call this cuz I want to cripple the biggest stack and end up with a HUGE chip lead myself. If he has JJ - AA or the deuce, well shucks.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:58 PM

I would like to reraise preflop, but the stack sizes are not good for it. A push is too big an overbet. Make a smaller reraise and what do oudo if he pushes.

I might checkraise the flop, but you get less information than the way you played it.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:05 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
I might checkraise the flop

[/ QUOTE ] hero is in position

i go broke here and call it, doenst look like a real hand, more like a draw trying to maximise FE
Old 12-24-2005, 10:09 PM

I think you are seeing him playing back with 2 diamonds more times than not here. Maybe A9.
~Justin
Old 12-25-2005, 01:53 AM

I think he'd make a continuation bet on the flop if he had TPTK since there's two diamonds. The check-raise claims he has at least one 2 or 99. I'd fold.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he'd make a continuation bet on the flop if he had TPTK since there's two diamonds. The check-raise claims he has at least one 2 or 99. I'd fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him soley on 99 or a two is just plain ridiculous given the action so far. What hands does he open raise from MP with that include a two? 99 is possible here, but it's unlikely he would play 99 this fast on this board, for fear of scaring hero off. What hero would be most afraid of here is an overpair to his hand.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go by that argument, you should fold AA here too.

Are you folding AA here?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are totally discounting quads?!?! what about 5 aces?

hang on....

Old 12-25-2005, 10:16 AM

looks more like stubborn AK AQ than anything else to me
Old 12-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Results

My initial reaction was to call, but then I started to think about the hands a reasonable player could be playing this way. Obviously I had no time to do the math, but it just seemed as if the made hands that I was ahead of would have been leading on this flop, and the most probable holdings for him were the big diamond draws and better pairs.

I ended up taking most of my time clock before zipping up the puss suit and folding. Part of my reasoning was that I thought I could use my position to steal a bunch while the shorter stacks waited to move up. Villain did not show his hand, but said in chat "If you had JJ you should be broke right now". I was able to chip back up pretty easily, and villain played fairly solidly the rest of the way - we ended up HU for 86 hands, where I was able to come back from a 10-1 chip lead and nab second place....