3k chips to start
Blinds are 200-400a25 9 players at the table

Folded around to the button and I have AJs

Stack sizes
Me: 6600
SB: 4000
BB: 8500

Reads:
Both SB and BB are regulars, and have seemed solid thus far, capable of resteals.

My options are????
Old 03-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Button with AJs

[ QUOTE ]
My options are????

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, Raise, or Fold. Next question.

Okay, seriously this is one of those "Don't raise with AQ" types of situations that Sklansky talks about in TPFAP.

However, I disagree with him. Is used to be that you didn't want to raise with AQ because if someone went all in behind you, you would have to fold (because his or her shoving range was better than AQ). In today's game, shoving ranges are wider. Secondly, we have reason to believe a villain may shove as a re-steal here (in which case we will call).

I think the solution to this problem is to put villain's on a range of hands before you raise (assuming one of them will shove). Using this range of hands determine in advance whether you will call or not. If the answer is that you won't call a shove...then don't raise, just call. If their re-stealing ranges are wide enough, raise here and call any shove.

Also in TPFAP a raise like this is equated to a steal (72o) because you'll have to fold. Well, I already stated why we won't have to fold. So, we aren't raising as a steal, we are raising for value. We likely have the best hand. If someone wants to play, (only call) we should charge them.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Anything, but don't open fold. In order of increasing variance: open shove is fine, raise call is fine; stacks are a bit short for a limp/push but I think that's OK too.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Raise to t1200, call a push unless SB pushes and BB calls (extremely unlikely scenario.)

Some tough spots may arise on the flop though. Here is a a hand with an extremely simmilar preflop spot that I posted about a week ago. Link.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Well, I couldnt come up with a good bet that wasn't too vulnerable. to a resteal or stop N go. I went ahead and pushed it.

I was incredibly confused (still am) that I was called by K9s from the BB. What range did he put me on to call with that?

Did I over estimate him? or is there something I am missing know that is a a level or two above me?

In hindsight, I think maybe a better bet would have been to commit myself with half my stack, or maybe just call, fold to too much action, and play position.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to t1200, call a push unless SB pushes and BB calls (extremely unlikely scenario.)

Some tough spots may arise on the flop though. Here is a a hand with an extremely simmilar preflop spot that I posted about a week ago. Link.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I like calling 4.3k chips against the resteal, if I am not against Ax I'd rather keep my chips and move on. Perhaps this is a part of my game I need to work on, but I would think giving them the leverage is bad. 1200 seems too small a bet to me. Even if the BB flat calls and bets out 1200 on a whiffed flop I have to fold it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM

OK. I'm an online player on the whole and the whole restealing thing may not apply but you can't go wrong here: it's the strategy that you want to adopt that is most important.

Open pushing prevents anyone from restealing with stuff like K9s (which they should over a button raise) so it's the lowest variance approach. It didn't work in this case - that's a terrible call. [censored] poker etc.

If you raise and get pushed, you call. You're way ahead of restealing ranges.

Limping also tends to make it hard for people to resteal. Shove over a raise if it's small enough that you're generating FE, call a shove (if you're taking this line), or play a small pot in position with a nice suited hand, if they check. Limping OTB is a bit FPS but I think all three are defensible plays.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I like calling 4.3k chips against the resteal, if I am not against Ax I'd rather keep my chips and move on. Perhaps this is a part of my game I need to work on, but I would think giving them the leverage is bad. 1200 seems too small a bet to me. Even if the BB flat calls and bets out 1200 on a whiffed flop I have to fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If he calls you have position. Advantage you (unless he shoves the flop).

As for him re-raise/shoving PF, this is why I think you should determine his shoving range before you raise. I am assuming his shoving range is plenty wide enough to make a call +EV. Don't worry about how many chips you risk if it is +EV.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 PM

You got it in as a 63% favorite ... nh
Old 03-29-2007, 12:30 PM

The guy who CALLED with you by K9o is by all likelyness a very bad player.