Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Account hacked on PS!!

A friend of mine signed on to Pokerstars earlier today and had a balance of $0.00 in his account. He emailed Pokerstars to ask them what was the cause of this and after some back-and-forth emails, the Pokerstars security team informed him that his account had been hacked by two players named 'brunopkr' and 'Mankera'.

I am very disappointed with this situation and seemingly outraged. In the email, Pokerstars wrote

"Hello xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. I am disappointed to tell you that your account does appear to have been hacked by the two players that I mentioned. I noticed earlier today when I sent the email to you that your account
was sharing the computer owned by 'brunopkr' and 'Mankera' that were
responsible for the hack on another player. This is why I wanted to
know how you are related. Unfortunately, it appears that you have fallen
prey to another hack by these players.

I have tried to trace how this may have happened, and you are correct
that your password is hard to guess. I do fear that you may have spyware
installed upon your main computer (The one that you did use yesterday).
I strongly recommend that you run spyware and virus finding software. I
also recommend that you do this as soon as possible and have your computer checked thoroughly. I also recommend using a computer that you know is secure, to check and change all the password that you have for your account information as you may have more information at risk than just your PokerStars account information.

A keylogger is the favourite method of these two individuals.

Regards,

Jason
PokerStars Security Team"

I highlighted a specific part of the email because I am wondering how these players could be responsible for a hack on another player and then allowed to get away with the hack on my friend's account. How can this be?!?!?! I feel as if it should have been dealt with appropriately in this first place.

They also appeared to have hacked into his Hotmail email account, but that is not his email account registered at Pokerstars.

If anyone has any information on these two players, it would be greatly appreciated as we try and get things worked out with this terrible situation.

Any comments on what may have happened and how and any suggestions on what our course of action could be would also be greatly appreciated as we correspond with the Pokerstars team in getting this matter worked out.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Account hacked on PS!!

the real question is why pokerstars continues to allow past hackers to continue playing/hacking on their site
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 PM

how much money? u need to get keepass or leave pokerstars logged in all night, thats the best way to avoid it
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the real question is why pokerstars continues to allow past hackers to continue playing/hacking on their site

[/ QUOTE ]

99% chance they're already long banned but are the names listed on a Stars internal database
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM

Yeah, I can't understand how they can let it happen again if it has happened before with the same names.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM

brunopkr it seems to be from brazil...bruno is a portuguese/brasilian name...but mankera is a city in pakistan...cant relate both.

As hotmail is very simple to hack, there is the chance of your friend have the same pass in hotmail and in pokerstars??? Maybe thats why he was hacked.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM

Actually, Bruno is German-Italian. And Hotmail is not easy to hack. It's actually next to impossible, unless you know the person and can just guess their password or use some other kind of social engineering.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Well im not an hacker, but i had an account that was hacked...and i think theres many information on the internet in how to hack an hotmail account.
I dont know if its possible nowadays, but 1 year ago...it was very easy to do that.

How do you know the Bruno is German-Italian?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Bruno is german.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 PM

There used to be ways to get into peoples hotmail accounts but those are long gone now. People at MS know what they are doing and unless you have a stupid password or a stupid secret question you are safe.