Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you regularly go to the driving range alone?
Yes 152 62.81%
No 54 22.31%
I don't play golf / This thread sucks / Show me the results 36 14.88%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL*** LOST Season 3 Episode 14 Discussion -spoiler free-

TV Guide has the "official" statement from the producers on this episode.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=800011706

My reaction to this:

(1) They are dead.

(2) They were killed because fans didn't like them.

(3) Damon Lindelof really is an obnoxious SOB. He is so defensive about Lost, and per usual takes a gratuitous shot at another show in the process of explaining how brilliant he is.

I really feel sorry for all of you who think this is all planned out, and that everything will make brilliant sense when all is finally revealed.

That said, I actually thought this was a highly enjoyable episode. I wish there were more "one-off" episodes like this that didn't deal with the unending boredom of the Others.

Also, this episode was good because there hardly any flashbacks that took place off the island. You have 40 people plus the Others on a huge, magical island; I would think a good writing staff could squeeze 10 seasons of stories out of that premise. But every week we are subject to a terrible, pointless flashback that has little or nothing to do with the island. Every week except this week, that is, which is why this is probably my favorite episode this year.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Jack could do a tracheotomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Either I don't remember this or I didn't watch it.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/new...4thursday.html

[ QUOTE ]
Abrams’ shows share a warm, off-the-cuff wit that makes even the grimmest situations amusing. When Jack chastises clueless castaway Boone (Ian Somerhalder) for trying to perform CPR incorrectly just after the plane crash, the good-hearted Boone insists that the injured woman simply isn’t responding.
"Maybe we should do one of those open-throat things, stick a pen in her throat," says Boone. Jack, rolling his eyes as he starts pumping the women’s chest, agrees and sends Boone off to find a pen. While he’s gone, the woman revives.
Boone returns in a few minutes with several different brands of pen in his hand. "I didn’t know which would work best," he says earnestly.
Those light moments work in the midst of what could become a very dark show.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Your reaction to this statement should be in white. Please edit it before other people read it and get angry. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Well, Nikki and Paulo were introduced because a lot of people were hoping they'd introduce new characters as to get the focus off the constant flashbacks on jack, kate, sawyer, etc. I think they introduced them at the wrong time though because there's no way you can have them as part of the show with all that's going on.

Oh well, at least they made this one good.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TV Guide has the "official" statement from the producers on this episode.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=800011706

My reaction to this:

(1) They are dead.

(2) They were killed because fans didn't like them.

(3) Damon Lindelof really is an obnoxious SOB. He is so defensive about Lost, and per usual takes a gratuitous shot at another show in the process of explaining how brilliant he is.

I really feel sorry for all of you who think this is all planned out, and that everything will make brilliant sense when all is finally revealed.

That said, I actually thought this was a highly enjoyable episode. I wish there were more "one-off" episodes like this that didn't deal with the unending boredom of the Others.

Also, this episode was good because there hardly any flashbacks that took place off the island. You have 40 people plus the Others on a huge, magical island; I would think a good writing staff could squeeze 10 seasons of stories out of that premise. But every week we are subject to a terrible, pointless flashback that has little or nothing to do with the island. Every week except this week, that is, which is why this is probably my favorite episode this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flashbacks might have little to do with the island but it gives the characters a round feature rather than a flat one. We get to think of the reasons why they are doing things. If we didn't have flashbacks, a lot of things would be just random.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was never planed at the start that Boone would die in season 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Big "lol" at stuff like this basically being what you're so adamantly proclaiming you don't do. Its just a lack of thought beyond whatever moment your fingers are running over the keyboard.

All,

About halfway through this showing I caught myself thinking, "meh, kind of boring episode." Talk about the power of an ending to redeem - or ruin - an entire endeavor. By the end, loved the whole thing, and whoever said it was reminiscent of Tales From the Crypt nailed it. Never really watched Twilight Zone, but the Tales comment put a name to the face I had on the tip of my tongue.

[/ QUOTE ]

what idiot thinks that is a [censored] spoiler of any kind.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Nikki and Paulo were introduced because a lot of people were hoping they'd introduce new characters as to get the focus off the constant flashbacks on jack, kate, sawyer, etc. I think they introduced them at the wrong time though because there's no way you can have them as part of the show with all that's going on.

Oh well, at least they made this one good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why go out of their way to give them their own episode, though? They barely had 2 lines, a casual viewer might not miss them. Couldn't they have just ignored them for the next 3 seasons? Or, lacking that, kept given them the same fate as the red-shirted people who beamed down with Captain Kirk? Holding them back for that, when needed, would seem kind of handy.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM

I really liked revisiting previous events from a new POV and the ending was cool.

Good EP; but it could have been even better and it still wouldn't justify the presence of Niki and Paulo to date; I don't think you can make the argument that any kind of one episode pay off justifies previous crapiness (i.e. if you were rewatching the season on DVD with someone who has never seen it before, and watching one of the early episodes they, justifiably, comment to you about how bad the characters are, replying "just wait 10 episodes and there's a good payoff" makes you sounds really lame).

I'm certain Nikki and Paulo are dead and equally certain we'll see them again in flashback form.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 PM

I have something that just occurred to me a few minutes ago and I thought I would see....well just flesh it out a bit.

But I think one fo the biggest things that the show had that it not longer does, are both the biblical references and just in general references to philosophy and such.

I admit, firstly, that I know nothing about the Bible, but I know that this show had tons of references to it. Additionally, there was a huge philosophical theme to the show in the early seasons.

Is is just me or has somethign that was a pretty large part of the show (or was it not?) become non-existent?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of "Paulo lies" her last words should have been something about how she isn't dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly?

<font color="white"> paralyzed </font>