Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Default BB Small stack facing miniraise

Hi all,
my first post to the forum. I hope this topic hasn't been covered already, couldn't really find anything (at least recent) on this.

I've made a play in two MTTs ($100) that isn't by the books, I think... I'd like to hear some comments.

Basic situation in both: I'm on BB, my stack about 10BB (average between 15 to 20), antes are in so pot is about 2BB and a midposition (slighty larger stack than mine) minraises (2 to 2.5BB). All fold to me, I'm holding
A) KQs
B) QTs

No specific reads on the raiser, tourney A is just in the money, B is getting close... the big money is still far away.

Other notions:
I've been agressive lately (case A I've just come down from chiplead to below average, case B I've come from 2 BB to life after pushing any paint for two orbits).

Several Ax- stealers have lately called a push, seems that the table is full of players desperate to double up.

All of that combined, I felt I had no folding equity by pushing all in. Also, I'd rather not die with just K or Q high just yet.

So I reasoned I'll take the huge odds for flopping a pair and die with that if necessary (antes are in, with a standard contbet from villain I believe I'm getting a minimum of 6 to 1 for flopping a good pair and then checkraising all-in). I understand the risk of being dominated but with those odds I took it and went fishing.

So I guess the questions are... do my odds calculations make any sense? Is this strictly all-in or fold preflop?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: BB Small stack facing miniraise

OK,
I'm probably making an ass out of myself by bumping my own post, but because of the less-than-raging discussion started by my post, here goes anyway...

Is this too trivial a question to arouse any interest? I really can't find any relevant discussion in the anthology or by searching either. Please help with a link if this has already been discussed to death.

Also, I've been wondering should I have considered pushing the flops if not hit (still checkraising if hit)? I earlier figured I was laying too big odds for villain to hit/have PP by doing that, but not sure any more.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:41 AM

welcome to the forums

this is a very read dependent situation concerning initial raiser.
first hand i push. you have some fold equity. in case he calls, i think that pushing 9 bb in a pot of 13 bb is good value with your holding.

second hand i call due to the fact that holding is weaker than in the first hand ... if i hit a pair i push except an ace pops up
Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM

YOu have a couple of nice shoving hands at the 10bb level, assuming no one has yet entered.

But, they have entered, and with a raise.

My default tends to go to this- if they have never minraised, then fold, cause they prolly have a monster.

If they minraise everything, then, you must shove, and get them off stealing your blind.

Also really important is the position of the raiser. The closer they are to the button, the less i believe they have a hand, and vice versa
Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.
Since there was no reads so far from the minraisers, I was thinking a bit on the lines of omaha. I was facing either a monster or something quite weak.
Pushing into a monster means big pot with weak chances of survival, pushing into a weak hand probably wins me a small pot right away (which obviously is not that bad a result with my chip status). So am I thinking too greedy when I want to play poker (until flop, anyway) seeing a very cheap flop with a hand that has nice potential to double me up?

juz_nuts, why donk-push on spiking a pair with QT and scare all weaker (non-paired) hands? I suppose a contbet is expected in a great majority of times (as happened on both hands).
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 AM

in case A id push your in the money and wanna get further
you got a nice hand to double up and your running low on BB
Push preflop

in case B id be like omaha and my action would depend on my read on villian did he mini raise be4 ? id push
is this the first time he did ? i just call and hope for flush straight or 2 pair else im done with it
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Yeah...push KQ in $$$, call QT b4 $$$. Check-raise if flop top pair, lead out all-in if flop flush or straight draw.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks guys, I'll have to think this over. I'm still not comfortable with pushing the KQs since the atmosphere of the table seemed to be 'double up with any A' and the minraiser was another below average stack.

Actually, if I had to choose, I think I'd rather push the QTs nearing money: the approaching bubble just might give some extra FE, and the hand is more vulnerable postflop even when flopping a pair. Any sense in this reasoning?

Oh jus_nutz, sorry about the misspell earlier [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]