Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: The Golf thread

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the regulars have complained that it "ruined" the course because the tourists want to play "the same course the pros do" and would play the full 7500 yards or whatever which often is too much for their level of skill, hence the very long rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably played ~200 rounds on TP South since the remodel, and (with the exception of day-after-the-Buick rounds) I've seen no more than 2 or 3 hackers attempt the black tees. Slow rounds (esp on weekends) are caused mostly by very well-placed, numerous and deep bunkers, and deep penal rough.

As for the curmudgeonly locals, I can't blame them. The course is packed now (everyone wants to play a USOpen venue) and the rates are climbing awfully fast. Sigh...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, my wife and I really liked the Cholla course at We-Ko-Pa, and thought it was better than Talking Stick and Troon North (both Troon Golf courses).

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, that's probably a common assessment. Talking Stick's courses are flatter than a 10-year-old girl's chest, whereas We-Ko-Pa is set on a pristine piece of land. Also, and I mentioned this in the Casey Martin thread in Sports, their new course is already rated #1 in the state by Golfweek, and the Cholla (original course) is #3. I'd go so far as to say that like you most people do prefer them to the two Troon North courses, and for locals they're probably less than half the price.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

limon,

Tell us about Bandon. I really want to go it looks unreal.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limon,

Tell us about Bandon. I really want to go it looks unreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

other than crashing waves its silent...completely silent. if you get there and its raining and the course is empty dont sit in the clubhouse, throw on your raingear and walk the course alone. i played it waaaaay back when it was only 1 course/no carts allowed. it might be different now but i doubt it.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Good thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it. Very good reads throughout.

My equipment is getting older (Ping Eye 2 irons, Callaway Big Bertha Driver, other Callaway woods), but I'm not in the mood (ie. don't quite play enough to justify) to replace it yet.

I am ready to regrip all the clubs though. As some people were speaking of all the new technology in golf, I thought I'd ask about grips. Anything new out there? What do you guys recommend?

I'm about a 6 handicap. The current grips are a couple years old (<10 rounds/year) and are from Winn Grips. Not sure what model number they are, but they're the wrap style, which I've liked. I especially liked the tackiness during the humid summers here.

Without any other advice, I'd probably try match what I've currently got. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it. Very good reads throughout.

My equipment is getting older (Ping Eye 2 irons, Callaway Big Bertha Driver, other Callaway woods), but I'm not in the mood (ie. don't quite play enough to justify) to replace it yet.

I am ready to regrip all the clubs though. As some people were speaking of all the new technology in golf, I thought I'd ask about grips. Anything new out there? What do you guys recommend?

I'm about a 6 handicap. The current grips are a couple years old (<10 rounds/year) and are from Winn Grips. Not sure what model number they are, but they're the wrap style, which I've liked. I especially liked the tackiness during the humid summers here.

Without any other advice, I'd probably try match what I've currently got. Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also prefer the tackiness of Winn grips compared to Golf Pride. The only problem with the traditional Winn grips is that they can be very difficult in the rain. I tend to play in the rain a couple rounds a year so that was kind of a big deal to me.

I reshafted my whole set save wedges with the newer model Winn G8 oversized grips. Tackiness is better than before and its not nearly as bad in the rain. The grips are noticably thicker, and for that reason I didn't get my wedges done because I was afraid I would lose some feel. They definitely add a greater sense of control to the woods and long irons, however, as well as making it a little more difficult to roll my wrists through impact, causing me to hook it less severely as a result.

I use the 7G8X-BMG
Old 03-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Bump to link to this thread in Sports by poker pro Blair Rodman about a new concept in golf betting and a golf event built around it, the "World Series of Golf" (although I thought that name was already taken by a legitimate PGA event). I doubt all of you visit Sports and it's an interesting read.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the talk about Drivers is hilarious. Some pros don't even carry them. Many, if not most, use them 1-3 times, max, per round.
If you're not a sub-5 handicap, you shouldn't even worry about it, you should carry a 4-wood or loft-wood or lob wedge instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us just like to whack em with the big club.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM

Any advice about how to get back to playing often after not playing more than 5-6 times in two years. I'm a sophmore in college and haven't played hardly at all since high school (I played 4 years of Varsity in high school and some reasonably competitive junior golf when I was younger). The main problem is that the few times I have played I haven't been satified (shooting high 80s). I think this is mainly because I am highly competetive and have played all those rounds with my dad (and some also with my grandpa and uncle where we gamble on the course) and haven't faired so well comparably with how I was doing in my high school days (I was decent, but nothing special). Is there a good way to get back into the swing of things or is it just basically a go to the range and iron out my swing for a few weeks type situation? I'm just tired of leaving the course pissed and not wanting to go back.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice about how to get back to playing often after not playing more than 5-6 times in two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the key to your frustrations. If you only play every 2 months or so during the spring/summer you never have a chance to get a feel for simply swinging a club, let alone feel for things like chipping, lag putting, three quarter shots...

Play more often. Simple as that.