Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: The Golf thread

spring has come around and it's time to play. First round for me is at a PGA course in 2 weeks (probably busto at the same time). Someone throw out some recs for drivers and 3 woods. I'm still using a freaking 975D for god sakes. I need to get out of the stoneage. I play a slight fade and my old shaft was a stiff grafalloy prolite 35s.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested to hear from the resident golf experts on graphite v. steel shafts for irons.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know you hate me but the biggest difference is weight and torque. but even torque is becoming less of an issue w/ new hitech composites. you can get 5 mph extra clubhead speed by switching to graphite but clubhead speed on an iron is pointless. who cares how far you hit your 6 iron? irons are all about accuracy. THE ONLY CLUB YOU NEED TO HIT FAR IS YOUR DRIVER. i hit my 6 appx. 185 in standard conditions. i would gladly lose 10yds distance if i could be guranteed 10yds accuracy w/ the same spin.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Never played Bethpage, I would like to, but I think your assessment is correct. The course was designed to be very difficult and provide a tough test, not be a typical course. The Rees Jones work gets less criticism there than at other places he has worked on I think. You should read up a bit about the course and about course design. For the 2002 US Open the USGA damaged some holes with rough as they always do. You should read up and note where the fairway is designed to be on certain holes and see if they have gone back to the original design or continue to farm rough where it wasn't supposed to be. In general terms fairway bunkers are supposed to be in the fairway, not the rough, and the old excellent architects put bunkers in for strategic purposes, not just penal ones. I.E. flirting with a bunker gave a player a better angle into the green or a certian hole location. The bold player paid a penalty if an agressive shot went astray, but the timid player paid a subtle penalty by facing a more difficult shot. In any event, Bethpage is difficult enough and penal enough with the original wider corridors. Go play it at some point, I will be a little envious. Especially because it is a walking only course, which I like and admire. If only all the other courses would follow suit.

As for the driver figure out what loft and shaft combination you need by getting fit for clubs. The specific brand is much less important.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, its spring and that means is rapidly approaching golf season across the nation. Golf and poker share a lot in common and I'm sure there are many golfers here on 2p2. Lets use this thread to discuss courses, equipment and general golf tips.

For starters, Im hoping to have progressed enough this summer to play Bethpage Black around August, but I doubt I will. From what Ive heard from friends its a really nice course and is insanely difficult, and I think it would be fun to take a try at it.

Also too, Im probably gonna be in the market for a completely new set of clubs. Right now I have a friend that is getting new clubs and he has a really nice set of Taylor Made's that arent too old, but I dont know the exact model.

For drivers Im debating splurging on a 2007 model or accepting I am not a baller and getting a leftover 2006 or 2005 model. Any recommendations for drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

equipment tips: go to callaway and get fitted for $20 bucks. never buy new (buy one season old). get what looks and feels good to you. FOR A DRIVER BUY THE PINEMEADOW DOUBLEWALL W/ 65G GRAFFALOY LOW TORQUE SHAFT.(you can thank me later)
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, its spring and that means is rapidly approaching golf season across the nation. Golf and poker share a lot in common and I'm sure there are many golfers here on 2p2. Lets use this thread to discuss courses, equipment and general golf tips.

For starters, Im hoping to have progressed enough this summer to play Bethpage Black around August, but I doubt I will. From what Ive heard from friends its a really nice course and is insanely difficult, and I think it would be fun to take a try at it.

Also too, Im probably gonna be in the market for a completely new set of clubs. Right now I have a friend that is getting new clubs and he has a really nice set of Taylor Made's that arent too old, but I dont know the exact model.

For drivers Im debating splurging on a 2007 model or accepting I am not a baller and getting a leftover 2006 or 2005 model. Any recommendations for drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

equipment tips: go to callaway and get fitted for $20 bucks. never buy new (buy one season old). get what looks and feels good to you. FOR A DRIVER BUY THE PINEMEADOW DOUBLEWALL W/ 65G GRAFFALOY LOW TORQUE SHAFT.(you can thank me later)

[/ QUOTE ]

You area quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. Can I get a link to this club?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spring has come around and it's time to play. First round for me is at a PGA course in 2 weeks (probably busto at the same time). Someone throw out some recs for drivers and 3 woods. I'm still using a freaking 975D for god sakes. I need to get out of the stoneage. I play a slight fade and my old shaft was a stiff grafalloy prolite 35s.

[/ QUOTE ]

for fairway woods you should try sonartec, they are butter. AND dont get a 3wood/5wood get the smallhead hybrid equivalent. i have the sonartec f14 and f18. the head looks tiny but you can hit them from any lie and you shouldnt need a big head from a non tee shot, you should be hittin the sweet spot.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You area quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

lololololololololololololol...youll hate me soon. just ask the other 500 people who have siad that same thing. oh, and here http://www.doublewall.com/reviews/
Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You area quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. Can I get a link to this club?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best thing about the El Diablo forum by far is that Limon is posting more on 2+2 now.

--Nate
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting professionally fit (shaft length, flex, kickpoint, torque; head loft, weight distribution) is more important than the specific model of driver. I've done a fair bit of comparative testing at Callaway's facility in Carlsbad and the data doesn't lie: all the heads (various manufacturers, various eras) perform pretty similarly, the performance difference between them is dwarfed by the differences in shafts.

So find a head that looks good to you at address, sounds good to you at impact, and then get it fit at a facility with a good launch monitor. Note: many facilities with launch monitors don't actually monitor ALL variables. At a minimum, you want:

<ul type="square">[*]launch angle[*]ball velocity[*]club velocity[*]ball spin (x-axis)[*]ball sidespin (z-axis)[/list]
Iron fitting isn't quite as critical as driver fitting for non-pros. Get fit for shaft length and lie angle, everything else is fairly unimportant. Head design isn't too critical, and assuming you're not shooting in the 70s, just about any perimeter-weighted head that you like (looks, sound at impact) will do the job.

GL
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM

tuq,

I usually don't understand it either but I had thought maybe there was some new product out there that is amazing, which limon pointed me to. After looking it might be a little out of my range but I will be making a trip to golfsmith when school is over for a newer driver. My current one is still a from a set from WM I got like 10 years ago. I only really got back into golf at the end of last summer, and want to take it more serious now.

I have friends that play bethpage pretty regularly, about once every6-8 weeks. They seem to do alright, but they boast scores, that well, just arent true. According to the scores they tell us they outshot Duval and a lot of other pros and should probably be on the PGA tour by now. I want to try it just to say I played it once. We usually go to a crappy muni course about 10 mins from my house. Its 30 buck for 18, and you can get in about 24 holes if you get the right rotation.