Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 06:57 AM

Default NL100: KK flops top set but checks flop behind??? (tilt series)

Villain is UTG 54/8/3 with $113, hero is LP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and covers.

When I played the hand I thought I was doing fine, but now I think that 2+2 concensus will say I have FPS and I should have just cbet the flop.

For some reason I thought JJ/33 will stack off anyway, and I will get extra bets from QQ and bluffs. And that this particular moron will stack away with AA/AK anyway if he has it or on a bluff if he has air and I show weakness.

Upon reflection it seems that I should just bet and lose that bet from QQ and bluffs, but be more likely to stack AK and AA and not give a totally free card to AQ.

Villain raises to $2, hero raises to $8, villain calls.

Flop comes 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($17.5)

Villain checks, hero checks (is this ever excusable?; I'm thinking bet $10 at least, probably $12)

Turn comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($17.5)

Villain bets $1, Hero raises to $8 (too small, raise to $12 right?), villain raises to $15, hero raises to $40 (again too small, raise to $50, right!?), villain calls.

River comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($97.5)

Villain bets $1, hero shoves $71.10 (villain has $64.26 remaining), villain...

Hand completely butchered with only preflop and river done right, do you agree?

My FPS is so severe, and I think I've developed "weak when strong to induce bluffs, strong when weak to fold out better hands" syndrome. At least upon review my hand histories seem to show that. That is really really really spewy. I need to get back to ABC.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: NL100: KK flops top set but checks flop behind??? (tilt series)

I don't mind the flop play. The turn is LOL though. Raise to like 14, repop to a decent amount to make it easy to get in on river.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 AM

I think if you're looking for stacks, you need to start building a pot on the flop. I also think it is too suspicious to check behind after reraising preflop, but i don't know if this villain would pick up on that.

I also agree that the turn raise should be more.

As played, I would probably shove the turn after villain donk bet and then reraised. It is starting to look like he may either have a set or a pair with a flush draw (Ks-Qs) or a combination straight and flush draw and is willing to stack off now.

I don't agree with checking this flop as a standard play, but I don't have a problem with it as a sometimes play. It does sound like you may have gone into trapping mode too hardcore and may have lost site of the fact that the best way to get money in the pot is to bet.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM

I always bet the flop there. Against good players they expect you to almost bet with anything having 3-bet, and you sometimes get c/r plays against you(though not so often with boards like this). Against bad players they call off with anything sometimes when there are cards to come - certainly if he has an ace and gut draw he's not going anywhere.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM

I don't think check on flop is horrible but a cont bet to about $12 seems like your best bet. If you cont bet frequently, I actually believe checking the flop shows more power than a cont bet. A flop check also gives an aq or a10 a free chance to make their str8.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM

OK, thanks a lot.

Yeah, I think I cbet sooo much I really should do it here again and pray he has something. He did call a 3bet after all and his PFR range isn't that wide.

And I'm way too trappy lately... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM

what's with all the weird HH converters these days...nobody likes to punch the HH into a converter anymore?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Party changed HH format, don't know of a converter that works.

If you think I enjoy painstakingly rewriting my HH into 2+2 format and calculating pot sizes manually then you are badly mistaken.