Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Push or fold: General rule?

Hi

I'm using SNGWiz to analyse my game.
First of all, I'm kind of having a downswing at the moment. I played about 120 SNGs so far on FT (6.5), had an ROI of 25% and 100$ profit at 70 games, now its down to 0% and 0 Winnings. Is this normal? I'm just kind of thinking about I just don't know what I'm dgino anymore [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

According to SNGWiz i get about 90% of the decisions correct. Do u need 100% to be profitable or am I just really having a downswing?

Ok now to the real question: I just analyed one game, 5 opponents left in the game, big stack has about 4000 chips, I had about 1100. Blinds were at 200/400. First hand I'm in early position holding K3 offsuit and SNGWizard says I should push. Second hand, quite similar, I'm in first position holding Q9 suited and SNGWiz says I should fold. Hows this possible? The stack sizes of all players were quite the same, only the last player had about 1500 Chips in the first hand and only 400 left in the last hand.
I would never push the first hand however pushed the 2nd hand (and lost against someone holding AA). But is it possible with these infos to explain why pushing K3 makes sense? With so many players left behind me? I usually just push great hands in early position and marginal hands in late position. Is this wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Push or fold: General rule?

The Word of Wisdom: faq
Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 AM

Hi Donligretto,

Allow me to share my thoughts. I don't have an ICM calculator but here's how I would play it:

Hand 1: 5 players left. Blinds 200/400. Early position with 1100. The big blind is going to get to you soon. When that happens, you have no more fold equity and big-stack plus one more medium stack might want to play a multi-pot with you and check it down.

Your M is extremely LOW.

At this stage, any Q, K, A I PUSH even in early position with 5 players left.

Hand 2: I probably would have pushed Q9 suited as well. But I'm not quite sure why that's a fold...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

I'm using SNGWiz to analyse my game.
First of all, I'm kind of having a downswing at the moment. I played about 120 SNGs so far on FT (6.5), had an ROI of 25% and 100$ profit at 70 games, now its down to 0% and 0 Winnings. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is. 70 games (or 120) are way too small a sample to get any significant idea about your ROI.

[ QUOTE ]
According to SNGWiz i get about 90% of the decisions correct. Do u need 100% to be profitable or am I just really having a downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]
At this level you definitely don't need 100% to be profitable. Not even close. Most likely it's a combination of bad luck and some bad play. Post hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok now to the real question: I just analyed one game, 5 opponents left in the game, big stack has about 4000 chips, I had about 1100. Blinds were at 200/400. First hand I'm in early position holding K3 offsuit and SNGWizard says I should push. Second hand, quite similar, I'm in first position holding Q9 suited and SNGWiz says I should fold. Hows this possible? The stack sizes of all players were quite the same, only the last player had about 1500 Chips in the first hand and only 400 left in the last hand. I would never push the first hand however pushed the 2nd hand (and lost against someone holding AA). But is it possible with these infos to explain why pushing K3 makes sense?

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems pretty obvious. Any K is a good holding as long as nobody has an A and nobody has a pp. With less than 3BB's left and everyone has you covered, you can pretty much shove anything.

In the 2nd hand, you only have a Q (forget about the kicker for a moment, you're not playing postflop here; hot and cold K3 is slightly better than Q9 for high card strength, K3o has 57% equity against Q9o all-in preflop). But that's not the main problem in the hand.

There is a very short stack around. Chances are big that he busts before you do which increases your equity. That being said: Since you're still far from the money (6 players left at 200/400, wtf?), it's hard to judge why SnGWiz would tell you to fold here unless you give us the exact situation preflop along with some calling ranges.

To understand why SnGWiz suggest one play and not the other look at and understand the details it usually hides.

[ QUOTE ]
With so many players left behind me? I usually just push great hands in early position and marginal hands in late position. Is this wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
With little chips left you can typically(!) open-shove ATC in the SB and on the Button. Earlier it mostly depends how big the stacks behind you are, you liberally they are calling, and if there are other small stacks around, possibly even smaller than yours.