Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Best Book for SH-LHE

Hello,

Just want to know a cue about which book help you best in your game of Hold'Em Limit. For myself I really appreciate :

1 - Theory of Poker by David Sklansky
2 - Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller
3 - Hold'em on the Come by Dew Mason
4 - Short-Handed Holdem (Dave Fromm DVD

any advice for good reading, I heard about the one by Roy Cooke - Real Poker. I want to know if there is a special book who can really get my game higher and gain some respect.

thx.

Quebecker
Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Best Book for SH-LHE

Real Poker II, while not specifically about SH is a great book. There's not necessarily a lot of specific advice, but the thought process Cooke uses is very instructive.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM

With the danger of getting mocked again my honest opinion is that SH limit is much harder to learn through books than many other games. You seem to have a solid theoretical foundation to build you game on. Books are great but in SH limit you need to build good instincts. The best way to do that I think is to play a lot, analyse your game and discuss handhistories. Also try to find a gamestyle that suits you. Reading too many book and trying to play exactly as they suggest can mess up your game. Take your time and build your game brick by brick. When you read books, try to think if you can adapt the theories to your game. Your game don't have to be bad just because the author suggest another line than you usually play in a specific situation. A generally good advice may just not be good for your game. And reading you opponents is off course more important than reading books [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Sorry I got a bit out of the subject...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the danger of getting mocked again my honest opinion is that SH limit is much harder to learn through books than many other games.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very true. SH is a much more instinctual game and you need to rely on hand reading ability more so than starting hand charts. Honestly, the content in this forum is the best place I have found to learn. Most books, such as HPFAP, are written for different game conditions than found online at the small stakes today. I think it's much more beneficial to read and respond to topics on here where there is discussion within a large group of players immersed in the exact games you.

Thinking critically about specific hands >>>>> than reading a few examples out of a book, though the concepts in books, like TOP, are absolutely essential.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get this one?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a book... it's a DVD from Expert Hold'em. But it's probably the best things I ever see on Shorthanded Limit Hold'em. You can get it at : http://www.expertholdem.com/
Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3 - Hold'em on the Come by Dew Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard of that book yet!

How do you guys value it? A must read?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 PM

According to me, I definately appreciated this book because it opened my mind on how to count outs. Like when you have an Open-Ended straight draw but their is two spade on board, on the flop. In that situation, you can't count your out as full out... so your 8 outs drop to 7 outs. And there is a lot of other situation like this. You will get better in counting your outs and evaluating differents flops.

There is also other chapters that are very interesting, like how many bets do you think there will be at the river to count if you need to call or adjust your move. I don't already understand all of the book but I will continue to study it in the next few weeks !