Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Good spot for a donk heads-up?

[ QUOTE ]
I still think donking is way better, for the reasons I laid out. Can you explain why a check-raise is better here? Seems like it'd cost a lot more to get the same information or convince the guy that he's beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even tho the pot is bigger I think you get more folds with a c/r. A lot of opponents views a donk as a weakish bet representing a draw or a marginal made hand. However, if you start bet/3-betting your big hands that conception could change.

Even if your folding equity isnt much better with a c/r than a bet, you still win more when you win the pot, UI or when you fill up. On the other you also stand the risk of being 3-bet which increases the cost of drawing.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM

The flop c/r line also gets more bets in on the flop when we actually have a made hand against the villain, and if we're c/r-ing with a range that consists mainly of made hands, we force the villain into making a mistake by calling and folding the turn UI when we're semi-bluffing a draw. Obv as our c/r range gets wider, it becomes more correct to rebluff or take more marginal hands to showdown.

I have a lot of trouble with this, but I think balancing these frequently occuring lines against different types of opponents is key.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop c/r line also gets more bets in on the flop when we actually have a made hand against the villain, and if we're c/r-ing with a range that consists mainly of made hands, we force the villain into making a mistake by calling and folding the turn UI when we're semi-bluffing a draw. Obv as our c/r range gets wider, it becomes more correct to rebluff or take more marginal hands to showdown.

I have a lot of trouble with this, but I think balancing these frequently occuring lines against different types of opponents is key.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still not sure I like a check/raise here, but I do like this post. Thanks slam.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

Another vote for check/raising. The added fold equity is worth it IMO. Add the fact I almost never donk flops with made hands, although villain is unknown that fact doesn't really matter, still most people know a gaybet is weak.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donks tend to not get near the respect of checkraises in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against certain villains, OP's play might work, (For example, me, but only if I read you as passive...) but C/R-lead is much stronger, as overs and maybe 66/55 fold the turn UI.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Like the way you see check-raising, but what are you talking about when you write 'OP' ?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like the way you see check-raising, but what are you talking about when you write 'OP' ?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP = Original Poster
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM

is it just me or do people lately give very little respect to these checkraises?

i find i'm getting called down a LOT by overcards if i CR these kinda flops..

i personaly see quite some merit in donking flops like these. you have to donk made hands as well ofcourse, but imho the advantage of that is that against aggresive villians who might raise with overs you can donk-3ball, or donk-call CR-turn.

is my thinking screwed here, or do i make some sense?

i find (at least agains agressive players) that i get myself into a lot of trouble quite often by CR air on these rag boards. getting 3-balled or turn CR'ed alot.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM

like slamhound said, if donking is your standard play with a made hand here, donking your draws is okay.

but I prefer using a c/r line to a donking line because when you do have a made hand, you get more money in, and you are more likely to get a fold when you are drawing. It also makes your opponents aggression on later streets easier to read in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or do people lately give very little respect to these checkraises?

i find i'm getting called down a LOT by overcards if i CR these kinda flops..

[/ QUOTE ]

dito