Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Default 10/20 A4H BB

I would appreciate if others would give their thoughts on this hand. I am interested to see if my betting was correct, or how others may have played the hand differently:

I am in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], MP raises, 1 LP call, SB folds, I call

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] – I check, MP bets, LP calls, I raise, MP 3 bets, LP folds, I capped – Your thoughts on my play here, was capping the right move?

Turn – 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - I lead out, MP raised, I three bet, he calls – was the three bet the right move here, with the addition of the straight draw?

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - I missed both draws, I checked, MP also checked. He has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] – said he thought I hit 2 pair, that’s why he didn’t bet.

Am I right to be that aggressive with the flush draw on flop, and the addition straight draw on the turn?

Comments \ Suggestions \ Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: 10/20 A4H BB

3 betting this turn is spewing. You are now an equity dog and he is not folding. His flop play and his turn raise strongly indicate that he is holding a good queen.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM

I like the flop cap, but hate the turn 3-bet unless you have a read he may fold to that kind of play. His raise is showing serious strength and AQ is basically the minimum hand for him; he'll usually have more. He's not going anywhere 99% of the time, so you're just putting more money into the pot as a dog. Definitely the proper river check.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM

I don't like the flop cap. You are out of position so you probably can't get a free card and you no longer have an equity edge now that LP has fold.

I don't like the turn bet either - even with the additional outs, you still don't have an equity edge heads-up, and there's no way this guy is folding now. The turn 3-bet is total spew - you may very well scare the guy into calling you down, but the vast majority of players are never going to fold now with the pot this bloated.

I think you lost 2.5 BB more than you had to in this hand.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop cap. You are out of position so you probably can't get a free card and you no longer have an equity edge now that LP has fold.

I did question my 3 bet on the turn, but thought I had played flop the correct way. I didnt look at the LP folding as a factor, but that does make sense. - Thanks for the good advice!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:09 PM

i wouldn't cap after the other guy folds.

I'm not even sure I'd bet the turn. once you do, the 3bet is big time spew.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM

I don't mind not capping the flop either, but I think it's neutral ev but good for your image, if anyone is paying attention at all. I think it's fine.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate if others would give their thoughts on this hand. I am interested to see if my betting was correct, or how others may have played the hand differently:

I am in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], MP raises, 1 LP call, SB folds, I call

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] – I check, MP bets, LP calls, I raise, MP 3 bets, LP folds, I capped – Your thoughts on my play here, was capping the right move?

Turn – 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - I lead out, MP raised, I three bet, he calls – was the three bet the right move here, with the addition of the straight draw?

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - I missed both draws, I checked, MP also checked. He has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] – said he thought I hit 2 pair, that’s why he didn’t bet.

Am I right to be that aggressive with the flush draw on flop, and the addition straight draw on the turn?

Comments \ Suggestions \ Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll comment on the turn. Because he bet and 3 bet the flop, you can assume he has something and you have to hit one of your outs to win. With only one caller and zero fold equity, a bet is only profitable if you are a favorite to win the hand. Are you? Count the outs. You have 9 hearts for a flush, two fours for trips, the other 3 fives for a straight, and call your ace overcard 1.5 outs. That's 15.5 outs from the 46 unseen cards. There are more than 30 non-outs. That makes you almost a 2 to 1 underdog to win the pot. A bet on the turn can't be right.

If you were CERTAIN of two callers on the turn a bet would be marginal, as in just about zero ev. (If you are a 2:1 dog, then you need to get 2:1 payoff on your bet to be even.)

You should check call the turn and check fold the river if you don't improve. Don't go for a check raise if you on the river hit your flush as he will be unlikely to bet. He'll be equally unlikely to bet if you hit that straight.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Everyone..

Thanks for the comments, and I can see my play on the turn was the furthest from the right play.

Great advice, and thanks again!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 PM

I won't comment on the turn as others have done so already.

I think betting out on the flop may be better here since you have a nice draw but also a vulnerable pair that you wouldn't mind protecting. If you get raised and the other player calls you can three bet.