Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Default I think I have stopped learning ?

After spending the last year addicted to poker and reading up on pretty much every aspet of the game, I think I have stopped learning new things. I have covered all the decent books, and regularly do well on the limits I play. I am by no means a great player but feel like im struggling to improve myself both in poker theory and practice. I guess this is a point lots of people get to, but is there any advice as to what I can do to improve. I will be grinding all summer at 0.5/1 and 1/2 starting next week, and will move up as soon as my bankroll is big enough so with practice I might learn new things. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: I think I have stopped learning ?

You may feel this way because, as you say, you're beating the games you play. There's not much of a challenge for you where you are. You've seen most every difficult situation at your limits and have an asnwer for it. When you're ready to move up (i.e. your BR is ready) I think you'll find some new challenges, tricks, etc.

D_D
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM

I go through that too. My solution: a week off. It does wonders.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 PM

I think you answered your own question. You said you'll be grinding all summer. It's hard to challenge yourself this way.

If you are planning to grind all summer, my advice would be to take a couple of hour each week, maybe even one day a week, and put yourself in an unknown or difficult situation. I'm assuming you're playing NLHE. Try limit instead for awhile. If you're playing ring games, trying 6-handed or tournaments. Better yet, try the other games at lower stakes where it cant hurt your bankroll. It may not be profitable at first, but you'll only improve as a player in the long run.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:05 PM

You will never stop learning as long as you play poker. Theres a new challenge every time you play. Your probably a holdem player right. Take $20 to a razz table and see how well you do. Try playing something that you don't normally do. Play Mixed Games. Start low maybe a .10/.25 PL HA table. If you just want to stick to holdem, try different buyin amounts. Say your playing 2/4 and you always buyin for $400 trying buying in for $100 $200. Find a Headsup table and buyin for 20% what the other person has 40% 60% etc.

You can't stop learning in holdem, its how much you want to learn. If you always sit at a nerly full table with average stacks and an average $$ avg pot, your never going to expand your play. Try playing SNG's everyone starts with the same amount and as stacks get mixed up it will present new challenges.

If you want to succeed at poker you'll need to learn how to play as many situations as possible.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM

I've been thinking about this myself lately. I believe that I'm not learning anything because I've all but stopped thinking while I play. I just sort of auto-pilot and my results have been less than great lately.

I think the key is to make sure you think about each and every decision you make. Even 'automatic' decisions.

For example, you get AK UTG. Don't just hit raise. Think about what the best play is, and why. Even if the decision is obvious, just think.

Eventually you will come to a spot where you are not sure what to do. Take this opportunity to make note of the situation and learn.

This is what I plan on doing the next time I play.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM

Rabbit, I like your response. As new as I am to the game, I find that when I get in trouble it's usually because I don't think before I play. Like you wrote, it's because I go on auto pilot. Generally you have to think and ask your question, "why do I think this is the play to make?"
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Session Reviews
Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 AM

I think a lot also has to do with the limits I play. Several times I find myself making super loose calls, and getting annoyed when I lose, yet long term they are winning calls. I find it hard to improve against such players. Last weekend I seen on a 0.5/1 NLH ten man table a 1st and 2nd pos limp, 1 mid pos limp, I limped with AQ on sb, and bb raised x6. 1st pos called, then 2nd pos reraised x 16, everyone folded to bb who went all in another $50-60and was called quickly by 2nd pos. BB had JJ and 2nd pos had 88!
I know this isnt the place for hand analysis but it tables such as these you cant play beyond ABC poker and can learn nothing except be tight and dont bluff. Hopefully when I move up I will learn new things
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM

Try some different games.

You will be amazed at how varied the games really are, and how the information you learn can crossapply.

Try limit. Try full ring. Try short handed. Try omaha. Try stud. Try razz. Try draw.

They all use different skills, and our learning can improve when we are in foreign situations. Omaha for instance really helps your ability to see board texture and know intuitively what hand is nuts and what hands have draws to better nuts.

Fixed limit draw poker (one street), can really teach you some things about position. Shorthanded play teaches you aggression. Full ring teaches you what "tight" means, etc etc