Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Default 5 day trip report (in stages)

Basic background...spending one last trip with my father and in Vegas for the next five days, staying at the IP.

Trip report, day 1 (copied/pasted from another site):

So, Day 1 ends at 5:19 Pacific, which means it's 7:00 on my clock.

If you've never experienced the IP poker room early on a Sunday morning, you're missing a spectacle.

But, I'll start from the beginning. Nobody cares about the flight and the crazy high school cheerleaders, so we'll skip that. My dad and I get to the IP, check in, and decide to walk around a bit.

First of all, whoever suggested that we tip the checkin counter twenty bucks is a friggin' genius, and thank you very much. Instead of a dumpy room, we're in a pretty spacious suite, and I think we made the day of the girl behind the counter. The room we're in is quite the upgrade, and better than we would've gotten for twice the price at another hotel. For five days. Whoever that was, I owe you.

Eventually, we decide that we're tired enough of seeing the strip, and head back to the IP, where my dad can play video poker right near where I play 1/2 NL. That's where the fun begins.

First of all, I'm seated at about 10:30, at an absolute rock garden. Then, I get KK UTG.

I raise to 12 and get FOUR callers. What happened to the rock garden?

Flop comes J99, and I feel fairly safe with that flop, until the BB bets out 30. A pretty scary bet, and I'm WA/WB here, so I'm calling and reevaluating...right?

Wrong. Player next to act immediately pushes for 100 more. Folds around to the BB, who calls.

I go into the tank, and yes, I folded KK. The overcall is what did it for me. Right or wrong, I just couldn't see myself stacking off there with that much action in front.

BB flips over AJ, UTG+2 flips over T9s, and it holds up. I'm trying really hard not to be results-oriented over that hand, but I'm still questioning if it happened again, do I fold?

Right after that, my dad informs me that he just hit four deuces, and won $100 playing 2 quarters.

Ugh. Jealousy strikes.

Then, I run pretty cold. 30 minutes later, I tip the floorman three bucks to go join the new table just forming...and it's a riot.

First of all, these people are brand new to poker. The dealer, Sky, becomes royally pissed after three hands go by with no tips, and starts flinging cards at three times normal dealing speed, causing a few to flip over. I'm trying not to laugh, and the people that do know how to play are trying to help coach the table along, but no luck for about 20 hands. Only about three of us are tipping, and she leaves her shift at the table fuming.

Then, the drunks come. First comes a middle-eastern man, probably in his late thirties, and he decides to sing every time he raises (which is nearly every hand preflop). So, I do what the normal person would do and limp/rr with AKs. That takes down a 45 dollar pot uncontested, but I really want this guy to call.

Then, a guy who we called Texas (because of his fashionable UT hat) comes to the table. Fifteen hands go by, and Texas isn't playing a single one. Then, a SLAG raises in MP on Texas's SB, and Texas goes AI for about 100. SLAG tanks, and calls with Q8o (!). Texas flips over 32 clubs, flop comes Queen of hearts, 5 of clubs, 17 of purple rainbows. Turn comes the 8 of clubs, and of course, the river completes the flush.

Texas picked up his chips and left after that.

Then, there was the makeout couple. A guy about my age sits down with his girlfriend. She's about a 5 on the FBG scale, and a 6 on the real life one. Cute (except for her man-arms), but nothing special. But, in between every hand, we had to see those two give each other a little tongue action. Is this normal?

Then, Middle-Eastern guy looks at the girlfriend guy and says, "Nice job," looking at his girlfriend.

She glares at him. For fifteen minutes. It honestly looked like she and her man-arms were going to beat the holy hell out of this guy. She finally calms down, and I have to bite my tongue from saying the obvious.

Other than that, it was just amusing to see a table full of that many drunks. Unfortunately, I didn't get much, and coupled with my $80 loss at the first table, I only ended up $26 for the night, but well worth it. Plus, with $2 an hour in that poker room, I have about $20 in comps coming to me, at least. shrug2.gif

Unfortunately, that's all I have for today, because I'm running on fumes. Hopefully tomorrow I can actually remember half this crap (and I'm just going to start keeping a little notebook...because I want to be able to remember this later on too.)
Old 03-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: 5 day trip report (in stages)

Good report, looking forward to more.

Jimbo
Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Ahh the ol IP....
I still shudder to think of the night that I turned a set of sevens in a three way pot, shoved in and got called by a gutterball, of course it hit..
good times..
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Location: Realising I suck at Poker (lifetime winner though!)

NIce report looking forward to more.

A,m thinking about staying at thre IP next year so will definately remember to tip at the check in!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Day 2:

We start off early at 9:00 AM, because we're ballers like that. We decide to have breakfast at the IP buffet (very nice, actually), and head over to the Bellagio for the tournament games.

Wasting time before the tournament, my dad decides to play video poker again, so we can get free drinks. Fourth hand, he gets two deuces, and hits two more on the draw. Yet another $100 to the luckiest SOB in the world.

I put $10 on Florida -6.5, but honestly, we left at halftime because we were so tired. I took a nap through the end of the game, but I heard I won. Ship it.

Afterward, we went to Hooters. I've never seen a poker room so small, but the management was fantastic. Even at 4:30, the players are extremely loose and aggressive, so I just try and wait for my time. I get QQ on the button, and get excited. UTG raises to $7, then UTG+2 raises to $15.

It's folded to me on the button, and I repop it to $45. It's folded around to UTG, and he goes all in, with $105 more to call. The second raiser folds, and I tank. The table's been extremely loose, and extremely gamboooolish, but this guy hasn't done much. So, I end up having a pretty easy fold of QQ, but it still makes me a little queasy.

Until he shows KK. Whew.

I'm down to about $125, and thinking about reloading when it comes to my BB. I get the 95 of hearts, 6 limpers to me, and I check.

Flop comes Ah 2h 7h.

SB checks, and I check, hoping the table goes nuts behind me.

UTG bets out $25 (yes, into a $12 pot), and there's one caller behind. That leaves me with only one thing to do, and I push.

UTG turbo calls (yikes!), and the second caller folds. Thankfully, he's been pushing draws to the max all day, and he turns up KhJd.

Turn is another seven, and the river is the king of clubs. Finally.

After that, my dad and I decide to go around to NY/NY and MGM, so I cash out, and we eat dinner at the Chinese restaurant (I forgot the name of it) at NYNY. Dinner was absolutely fantastic, but the hostess had a mysterious black eye.

Bad beat, anyone?

We go over to MGM, and I sit at a pretty rocky 1/2 table there. Only hand of note, I get QQ UTG, and I limp. 3 limpers around to the BB, who pumps it up to $15. I repop to $45, everyone folds, and BB (a pretty good player) pushes.

Dammit.

I fold QQ preflop for the second time of the day, and he shows me aces. I go ahead and rebuy this time, but not much more action. I somehow got it up to $225, so I cash out my $25 loss.

We walk around the Strip a bit more, and go to watch the Bellagio water show. That's just fantastic stuff. I didn't think I'd be too impressed with water pumps, but that thing just blew me away (sorry, I'm punny tonight).

Afterwards, we head back to the IP, and we take our normal seats. My dad plays video poker, I go and hit up a brand-new 1/2 table. I'm hoping for a lot more drunk action, like last night, but it's a serious rock garden. I get QQ UTG, and raise to 15. For once, there's two callers. Flop comes 532 rainbow, SB and BB check to me, I bet 45, two folds.

So, after getting lucky and seeing the only two calls of the night from that table, I hear "live straddle" twice in a row from across the room. I go to Michael, one of the nicest dealers/floormen you'll meet, and ask to get the next seat at that table. I get seat 10, tip Michael two bucks, and sit down.

A side note: if you ever go to the IP, tip. Those guys will bend over BACKWARDS to get you what you want. I've tipped a total of 7 dollars to floormen/cashiers over the past two days, and every time I turn around, they're absolutely making sure I'm comfortable.

Now, to this table. I've played 1/2 NL live quite a bit. I've seen some crazy-### tables. I've NEVER seen a table like this. Ever.

Live straddles every hand, sure. But, in about 160-170 hands I saw tonight at this table, I literally saw pots over 200 dollars at least 40 times. Twenty dollar raises were the norm, but they were getting 4 callers each. The oldest guy at the table, an EXTREMELY nice Japanese man, was just pushing everything possible, then reloading. He reloaded five times while I was there.

Unfortunately, I wasn't getting much. In those 160 hands, the best starting hand I got was AJo (I lost that hand). But, there were two other hands of note, thankfully.

I get QJ hearts UTG+2. A limper to me, and I limp. Two folds, Japanese guy raises to 15 (he probably raised 50-60% of the hands dealt to him). Two callers, and I call.

Flop comes KhTs2d. It's actually checked all around, which amazed me.

Turn comes Ah. Jackpot.

Bet is 20 in front of me, but I want Japanese guy in the hand, so I call. Japanese guy calls as well.

3 players to the river, which comes the 5 of clubs. It's checked to me, I bet 40, and Japanese guy just wants to see what I have, since I haven't played a hand in about fifteen decades. I flip over the nuts, he mucks.

I'm up to about $320 at that point, but it whittles down to $300 before I get 75h UTG+2. Everyone that's playing every hand has me covered, so I figure I'll take a shot at this one. I limp, Japanese guy raises to 6 (huh?), and three callers. I call, and flop comes Ah2hTs. I bet out $15. Japanese guy calls, one more caller. Turn comes the 7s, and I bet $15 again, Japanese guy calls again, one fold.

River comes a brick, and I bet out $40, praying the betting pattern combined with the aggression takes him out. Turns out, it wasn't necessary, as he had the nut heart flush draw. Thank GOD he didn't hit that.

All in all, I'm now up $240 for the trip, which was my plane fare. The lesson? If you're in Vegas, and it's past 11:00, and you want to poker...head to the IP. That place is insane.

Tomorrow, it looks like we're going to see if there's any shows we want to see other than Copperfield (6th row, baby!), and I'm going to play in the 9AM tourney here.

I can't believe we've only been here for about 30 hours. Four more days to go. Wow. I didn't believe people when they said 5 days in Vegas was an eternity, but I'm really believing them now.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 AM

nice report, looking forward to more!

and I do care about the crazy high school cheerleaders...

later,
illmatic
Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 PM

nice report, I'm 28 and 5 days is too many for my young liver
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Sweet good stuff. By the way, when you tip the front desk, what exactly do you say? "Here's $20? can you bump us up to a suite?" lol ive never done this before.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet good stuff. By the way, when you tip the front desk, what exactly do you say? "Here's $20? can you bump us up to a suite?" lol ive never done this before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. Just tip them, saying, "Is there anything we can do to improve my room situation? They'll listen.