Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Default top pair weak kicker vs super loose passive player.

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em

MP2 plays very weak. barely ever raises before the flop, he plays more than 50% of his dealt hands, he very rarely leads at any streets, all he does is call. This was over a few hours of play.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: (3 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Ok, at this point im feeling alright about my hand, theres a lot of draws out there, plus i could be getting paid off with a worse ace or a worse pair.

Turn: (3 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

I think im clearly correct in leading at this turn. I want worse pairs to fold and i want the gutshots out. obviously QJ and flushes now have me crushed. also worried about K10 etc, however theres a good chance i can overtake his 2 pair on the river (if he has it), so i call.

Would anyone quiet down on the turn? not much info on button.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero?
Final Pot: 8 BB

yeah 8-1 is good. but. can i really beat anyting? theres a 4 flush, straight. This guys plays over half his hands, so i guess theres a decent chance he has some kind of trashy 2 pair. payoff or fold?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: top pair weak kicker vs super loose passive player.

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 plays very weak. barely ever raises before the flop, he plays more than 50% of his dealt hands, he very rarely leads at any streets, all he does is call.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your answer. What good are reads if you don't use them? Edit to add: &lt;-- this comment relates to the turn already.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

theres no need to be condecending, Im after peoples opinions.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
theres no need to be condecending,

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2007, 09:41 AM

you cant actually beat 2 pair....
Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 AM

When did i state i could beat 2 pair? My comment about the river is simply going through the hands that could have me beat?

Whats your opinion on the situation?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM

Againnst the opponent you're describing, you can fold to the turn raise. He can have you drawing dead in a multitude of ways (flush, QJ, set, AK), or way behind something like K9 or KT.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM

The best you can hope for is that he has KT or K9. If that's the case (i.e. he never has a flush, he never has a straight, he never has AK, he never slowplayed a set or Aces up, and obv he's never bluffing) your equity is at 17%. Even in the complete outer-space best case the turn is a fold.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM

I agree with the fold on the turn raise. Like the first reply said, judging by the MP2's normal play, the aggression is a likely sign that he hit. That is what he meant by using the read.

Overall, you didn't have a monster to begin with, plus your hand wasn't likely to draw to anything spectacular, so given the read you provided, I would tend to release the hand.

Does anyone have input on the hero's flop bet? Would it be a reasonable play to check, see if you can call for one small bet or take a free card, wait to see if the turn is a relatively safe card (non club blank) and if so, then take charge?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Loose passive calling stations raising the turn == two pair or better. Easy fold on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have input on the hero's flop bet? Would it be a reasonable play to check, see if you can call for one small bet or take a free card, wait to see if the turn is a relatively safe card (non club blank) and if so, then take charge?

[/ QUOTE ]

In these situations, I generally just bet out and see what happens, especially against these players. No reads for the player on the button were given, but I would just assume he would raise pf with AT+, 99+. The only hand I would be worried about is T9. Since MP2 is a weak player, we are ahead of both their ranges. Don't always assume someone has a flush draw just because two clubs flop.