Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: $5.50 First Hand TPTK - Can I Be Good Here?

[ QUOTE ]
pf raise to 150 or 200 is horrible imo

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, this is a $5 buy in. 100 is a limp with 76 offsuite to a lot of these players.

Maybe 200 is a bit high, but 150 is about right IMO.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 AM

What do you think villain has here and what do you think villain put me on? I agree I should have called, but I'm surprised you'd consider raising.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think villain has here and what do you think villain put me on? I agree I should have called, but I'm surprised you'd consider raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt saying that i consider raising - i think a call here is the right play
i was saying that id raise before i would fold
its a 5.50 he could be being stupid

also, i didnt realize that you didnt raise PF - clearly a raise PF is in order here

this is a grosser spot then i origionally thought, he could have a junk 2 pair here very easily -
id call this river
Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, this is a $5 buy in. 100 is a limp with 76 offsuite to a lot of these players.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF raise of t80-t100 is fine. Makes hands we are ahead of pay the correct price to see a flop. I want villians with 76o calling my raise here. Raising to t200 and making them fold 76o loses me $$ in the long run. This also allows you to get away from re-raises/shoves and whiffed flops with a min loss.

OP PF limp is also alright as long as you keep the pot small. Once called after the flop bet I think I check/call resonable bets on the turn/river.

As played call the river.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been going back and forth on limping vs. raising AQ in early position early in the game. The raises often get called by a fair number of players early on anyway and then I find myself in the same situation, only forced to make bigger bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, the problem with 75bb in your stacks, that top pair hands tend to be reverse-implied odds heaps of crap. I don't get excited by top pair top kicker, multi-way.

In that particular hand, it does look a lot like a busted flush draw or a surprise 2 pair, but against bad crazy and very passive players, you will never know for sure.

I don't see how, giving a loose passive player a free shot to outdraw you on the turn, via an imaginary flush, or a raggy two pair, is going to improve your expectation.

If you're one of the best players, then raising pre-flop and getting called by a field, has problem of creating huge variance.

Folding AQ pre-flop may well be the best play in early position, late middle position open raising versus the blinds, who often call for tc100 with filth, does become much more attractive however.

The bottom line is, bad players do not give up pots, when they should, so frequently bluff the river (even though Fish call anything), and also expect other players to be 'bluffing' to. I do not think, they're going to think about what hand you have, simply either be 'bluffing' or 'taking it down' if they think they have the best hand, but they are not very reliable judges of hand value.

These arguments are reason for not getting involved with 'trouble' hands, but play position and do set mining.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please never raise to 10xBB or 7.5xBB pf ever in any level. That is incredibly unnecessary and and just makes it extremely hard to C-Bet. 100 at the most is the raise you should be looking for in this situation, buy in doesn't affect this.. at 5.50s they do fold.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

If it were heads-up I'd probably check the turn, but with two opponents betting is probably a good idea. River is a call. He could have anything.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please never raise to 10xBB or 7.5xBB pf ever in any level. That is incredibly unnecessary and and just makes it extremely hard to C-Bet. 100 at the most is the raise you should be looking for in this situation, buy in doesn't affect this.. at 5.50s they do fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I raised early the other day to tc100, with KK having folded all my hands. I got 4 callers, fortunately I flopped top set and won a decent pot.

Sometimes, you get 2 callers, raising to tc300 with premium hands! That is 20% of starting stack.

If they're going to call, when miles behind, why wouldn't you want to raise big? Anything less than 10% of your stack, is giving money away to set miner's, especially when there's other loose calls, building the pot up, so you cannot get away from your overpair post-flop.

That said, I would not do that with AQo, it's a trouble hand, and only builds top pair.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:18 AM

I would also make it 120-160 pf in order to not make them hit their sets with low pp ... didnt he hit his deuces? i wonder noone thought about it...

further you can be shure not to run into some random 2pairs he catches. i think that it makes the hand eaier to play when you raise pf .. less players and more info
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also make it 120-160 pf in order to not make them hit their sets with low pp

[/ QUOTE ]

I let the odds take care of that, they can hit 1:7 if they want. Really if you raise to 100 and get multiple callers they will likely be playing the pot no matter what unless you just shove pf and that isn't an option whatsoever.

Play correctly, everyone elses mistakes will only help you out in the long run. Don't raise to more than 80-100 level 1 in normal situations.