Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 02:09 AM

Default More noob rambling...

From Trader01...

More rigged online shenanigans...

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, since we're naming sites, it's iPoker. I have seen this consistently over about 100,000 hands that I have played on the site(s). There are an awful lot of situations where a flush beats a straight, a full house beats a straight/flush, or one high pocket pair beats another. As soon as I adapted my style to ULTRA conservative my results improved tremendously. Basically:

1) Try to bet pretty big on the turn so that you never have to see a river card with some fool who is chasing and has an 8% chance of hitting his gutshot straight draw, because half the time he hits it. In general, pray whenever the river card is about to come up.

2) Be VERY cautious when you have JJ or QQ, because the chances are around 30% that someone else on the 6 person table has AK, KK, or AA. NEVER go all in with anything other than AA, and be very careful when you are first to act with an overpair of JJ, QQ, or KK on the flop. The chances are excellent that someone either has AA or has flopped a set with a lower pocket pair.

3) Bet huge when you hit your set and there is no straight/flush board showing, because someone else has a 50% chance of hitting their straight or flush by the time you get to the river... if you see 3 cards of the same suit on the board, ALWAYS assume that someone has the flush. If you see 3 cards that could make a straight, ALWAYS assume that someone has the straight.

4) When you hit your straight, bet big if there is a possibility of a flush hitting on the next card, because half the time it will. Be very careful of pairs on the board, full houses seem to happen all the time.

5) Be slightly more prone to semi-bluffing yourself, because you will be rewarded more than you should in case your bluff is called.

Changing my tactics in this way on this site has helped my results.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: More noob rambling...

[ QUOTE ]
There are an awful lot of situations where a flush beats a straight, a full house beats a straight/flush, or one high pocket pair beats another.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2007, 04:09 AM

This guy is a genius.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are an awful lot of situations where a flush beats a straight, a full house beats a straight/flush, or one high pocket pair beats another.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how strange

i've also seen an Ace high beat a Kingh high sometimes.... thank god not always
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 AM

The sites I am really skeptical about are the ones where King high beats Ace high.
I am giving those sites fewer second chances lately.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does a fullhouse beat a straight or flush?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 AM

Sometimes a flush beats a straight, sometimes a straight beats a flush. That's poker. However, in my experience, smaller pairs seldom lose to bigger pairs, unless someone is holding the joker, in which case it is a split pot and your opponent is basically freerolling, so iPoker probably is rigged.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 AM

As one of my buddies said the other day when I asked him how he went from third in chips in an mtt with 20 left and 3 times the average stack to out while I went to the kitchen to grab a soda... "I raised with AJ, the big stack moved all in, I called, he had AK- the one hand I didn't want to see. I'm out. That's poker. Variance got me."

Orly?