Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Killer nic super network card - good for Poker??

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely get lag from my one connection. It's pretty sick that Soul Rebel has a dual WAN router with 2 different connections and still has problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me go ahead and describe in detail what I am experiencing. I have 2 connections, Bellsouth DSL and Time Warner cable. I have a Dell Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of ram and a raptor hard drive that I bought in October, it has the stock network card. My router is a Xincom that I paid $250 for last summer. I'm in the middle of a move, so I've just had the cable modem for the last week. I have since seen how often it goes out, probably 3 times daily for about 4 minutes average. The DSL is obviously much more reliable, so I use it as my primary connection (wan 1).

The problem I experience is that for maybe 10 seconds every 2 hours or so, all the action at my tables will freeze, sometimes its shorter, sometimes its maybe 20 or 30 seconds. Then everything resumes as it was and the connection is stable again. This has been going on for a few months. I just don't want this happening, if it happens in the middle of a $2k pot, I could be screwed. It sounds like a multi-port NIC is not the way to go? Do you guys have any other suggestions? Once again, I am very appreciative of the help.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Ok, I want to make sure I understand this correctly....

-You've been having this problem for several months while on DSL.

-You now have the dual WAN with DSL and cable but you're still have the exact same issue.

If this is correct, it makes me want to ask two questions:

1) Do we know for a fact the dual WAN function is actually working properly? If it is, unless both internet connections happen to "hiccup" at the same instant, it doesn't seem like you'd have these lag/hanging issues.

2) Is there any chance that the problem is actually a computer problem rather than an ISP problem?

I'm far from an expert on dual WAN routers and only have basic knowledge of them but from what I've read the instant and sudden loss of one connection should have no effect on basic performance except in way of the dual speed/bandwidth etc.

Again, take this with a grain of salt and one of these guys more knowledgeable on this particular subject can chime in and might provide info to show I have no idea what I'm talking about and that's ok.lol But to me if the dual WAN router is working properly and both connections are connected to the router, it doesn't seem like these lags would be possible. Which again makes me question if it's a computer hardware or software issue? Just a thought.....

Good luck.

- Jason
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 PM

I agree with you Jason that it is very unlikely that both connections are failing simultaneously. I do not have much experience with consumer dual WAN routers either, but like you said - it definitely sounds like it's not doing its job.

As for the multi port NIC, that was just an early suggestion before I knew the nitty gritty details of your situation. After reading the other thread where someone commented, it still may have not been that great of a suggestion. So sorry if I mislead you.

/gold
Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you Jason that it is very unlikely that both connections are failing simultaneously. I do not have much experience with consumer dual WAN routers either, but like you said - it definitely sounds like it's not doing its job.

As for the multi port NIC, that was just an early suggestion before I knew the nitty gritty details of your situation. After reading the other thread where someone commented, it still may have not been that great of a suggestion. So sorry if I mislead you.

/gold

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob at all. Here's a question though. I've read a little about routers getting overloaded and locking up. I don't know enough about networking to know why or how that would happen, but could that be the case here? Could there be a setting in the router's setup page thats not right? Anything else I should check out that comes to mind? Sorry if these are bonehead questions, but its a huge help. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm far from an expert on dual WAN routers and only have basic knowledge of them but from what I've read the instant and sudden loss of one connection should have no effect on basic performance except in way of the dual speed/bandwidth etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably won't notice if you're just surfing the web.

But if you have anything with a persistent connection, it will only be using one of the two links at any given time. If that link is broken, then software will still have to re-establish connection. This process may be faster since you already have another link up, but you still have to go through the process.

It's theoretically possible to set up software that will have a persistent connection across both links at the same time, and if one dies everything just instantly goes over the surviving connection, but that would have to be written into the software on both ends. I don't know for sure, but I'd lay 100-1 (max bet: one penny) that no poker sites have this sort of feature in their software right now.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
above poster is right, this card is meant for first-person shooters - and even then its function is still questionable. if you're looking for redundancy:

ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

Redundancy? There's a huge SPOF staring you right in the face!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know for sure, but I'd lay 100-1 (max bet: one penny) that no poker sites have this sort of feature in their software right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm mistaken, sites only go based off of being logged in for persistence to tables etc, so all that would technically happen is he would simply have to log back in if he was coming from a different IP and then the tables would immediately come back up - that might not even be necessary either as I have had to hang up my modem and dial back up. The likelihood of connecting back with the same IP address is slim and it immediately works.

Thats part of the SSL connection - the certificate establishes the running client with an SSL v3 ID and boom, there you go. So long as that is maintained, you can probably change your IP address (internet facing) willy nilly and it will continue to work.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thats part of the SSL connection - the certificate establishes the running client with an SSL v3 ID and boom, there you go. So long as that is maintained, you can probably change your IP address (internet facing) willy nilly and it will continue to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on that for me? Can my router do this or is this a software thing? So it is possible to lose one connection and instantly go to the backup with no downtime? Thanks man.