Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 04:14 AM

Default Half Kill Games Strategy

I got an account on UltimateBet a couple of days ago and noticed they had some half-kill games. I datamined a few of these and read about them in Winning Omaha 8 (Tenner/Kreiger).
I played my first one today, 2/4 with a half-kill. I decided to play just like I would in a normal 2/4 game, since I've been running hot recently. I ended up a few BB's over an hour, but don't feel like I am any closer to knowing how to play in that type of game than I was before. Can someone post a few suggestions and guidelines for half-kill games? Maybe we can dive into full-kill games another time. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Half Kill Games Strategy

Baxter - When the game stakes are raised, some of your opponents will play more cautiously. Others will try to take advantage of the higher stakes by playing on the fears of the more cautious players, trying to steal the pot, etc.

Learn who does what.

Play accordingly.

Buzz
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 AM

Is there any different way that I should play when there is a kill involved? Should I look to raise from a kill position more often than I normally would? Should I raise someone who has the kill if I have position and no one else has limped in? In general, what are the strategies involved when playing here?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any different way that I should play when there is a kill involved?

[/ QUOTE ]Baxter - Maybe, but not necessarily. It's very much opponent dependent. Carefully watch what your opponents do here and try to react in such a way as to out-play them. You always should be playing in this fashion, but when somebody has posted a kill pot, the behavior of some individuals will be different. They may be more aggressive or they may play scared. or maybe they won't be affected at all. Watch and see and then play accordingly.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I look to raise from a kill position more often than I normally would?

[/ QUOTE ]In general, no, but where a fraidy cat can be pushed around, go ahead and push.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I raise someone who has the kill if I have position and no one else has limped in?

[/ QUOTE ]If you think your raise will steal the pot, go ahead and raise. Otherwise, play as normally.

[ QUOTE ]
In general, what are the strategies involved when playing here?

[/ QUOTE ]Watch and see what your opponents are doing in this situation. I don't have any specific strategy except that I'll stand my ground when someone tries to buffalo me here, whether I'm the kill poster or not.

If I've posted the kill, somebody raises, I have nothing, and others have called or will call, I might give it up. Depends.

If I've posted the kill and I think somebody is trying to steal with a raise, and if it looks as though it might end up as a one-on-one contest, I'll play a hand that has a 50/50 (or close to it) chance. I might re-raise so as to ensure that it becomes a one-on-one contest. Depends.

Buzz
Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 AM

When there is a kill,you are playing for larger stakes with 3 blinds.Simply treat the killer like a blind hand.(Which he is.)If the killer is towards the back end,it is similar to having a hand where a new player comes in & posts in the back except the blind structure is just a little different since the killer's blind is larger.