Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Tubby Smith resigns, taking Minnesota job

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This angers me so much.

I have news for you Kentucky fans. YOUR JOB IS NOT HALF OF WHAT YOU THINK IT IS.

I was so pissed off the other night when I was driving home late, listening to ESPN Radio, and the guy on the air was saying they needed to fire Tubby. He said they needed to do it because KENTUCKY is in the "elite" group of college teams...and deserved better.

Kentucky is not North Carolina. They are not Duke. They are not Kansas. They are a very solid D1 program, along the same lines as Texas, UCLA, Florida, etc. This guy won you a freaking NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, took you to the dance every single year, and you think you deserve more.

Well good luck. Your not in a recruiting hot bed. Your team doesn't have half the luster you think it does. Bah. *off soapbox*

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to say this man, but you are pretty wrong. LATELY UK hasn't been elite, but I'd say they have a little history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Whoever posted that obviously has no idea what he is talking about. Kentucky is one of the top five programs in the country, without a doubt. (and this from someone who hates them)

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest college basketball programs right now are (no order):

UNC
Duke
UCLA
UCONN
UF

The biggest in History are:

Indiana
Kentucky
UCLA
UNC
Kansas

Over the last 30 years (UCLA wasn't good for most of the 90s and most of the 80s):

Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas
Arizona

Honestly, the rest of the top tier programs have been rather inconsistant other than these. Kentucky really only has been down the last 3 years or so. 4 years ago they were #1 team after the regular season.

MSU, UCLA all have arguments as well as UCONN. But they haven't been that consistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kentucky is a Top 5 program right now. As much as I dislike them, there is no doubt. Are they one of the five best teams this year or the last five years? No. But if you polled every AD, coach and/or media person on where they would coach or who the top 5 programs are, there is no doubt that Kentucky would be in the Top 5. They have a great program/success, they have as much fan and alumni support (ie money for a coach) in the country and they are (I hate to say this) in the best conference. Florida isn't on that list. It's a football school, as is MSU. UConn isn't on that list, nor is Kansas.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't the best conference. Maybe over the last 2 years b/c of Florida but there is no way it's the best conference period in basketball.

What are you characteristics of top programs? I don't think Kentucky right now has the nationtal TV pull it used to have. Kentucky does have a huge stadium. Kentucky does have huge pull probally enormous pull in Kentucky. I just don't think it's as huge as it once was.

BTW how on earth do you know what every AD, coach etc. would think. I like when someone uses that as evidence.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM

If you want proof of how strong the Kentucky program is, just look at the news the last couple of days.

Florida is the defending two-sport champion. Their basketball coach has been there a long time and is in the Final Four again, yet there is some doubt (whether remote or not) and a lot of discussion about whether Donovan will sign an extension or go to Kentucky. Other coaches mentioned have been Tom Izzo, John Calipari and Rick Barnes. Is there any question that UK is in the Top 5, if not the Top 3?

As for my comment about coaches, ADs and media. I didn't say every single person would say that, but the average would be. How do I know? I read the paper, on-line and off. Try it yourself!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want proof of how strong the Kentucky program is, just look at the news the last couple of days.

Florida is the defending two-sport champion. Their basketball coach has been there a long time and is in the Final Four again, yet there is some doubt (whether remote or not) and a lot of discussion about whether Donovan will sign an extension or go to Kentucky. Other coaches mentioned have been Tom Izzo, John Calipari and Rick Barnes. Is there any question that UK is in the Top 5, if not the Top 3?

As for my comment about coaches, ADs and media. I didn't say every single person would say that, but the average would be. How do I know? I read the paper, on-line and off. Try it yourself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c Kentucky can throw the most money around right now, I don't think it makes it a top 5 program right now. John Calipari was adament that he isn't leaving and already signed an extension today. Honestly, I know Kentucky is a top 5 program all time, I just don't think right now I'd consider them one. Nor do I think Indiana is a top 5 program right now but it definitely is all time.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM

I love UK basketball!

They really should have Ashley Judd on their recruiting staff. Who wouldnt want to come to UK if she visited your house or highschool game? I am sure she would be happy doing it too.

That being said, I hope we get Donavon. Ricky P already dismissed he does not want to come back so I am extremely nervous about this coaching change. I think I also heard on the radio Calipari signed an extension to his contract today till 2012 or something similiar.

I bet a lot of coaches are going to get nice raises because this job opened up.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love UK basketball!

They really should have Ashley Judd on their recruiting staff. Who wouldnt want to come to UK if she visited your house or highschool game? I am sure she would be happy doing it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, she would definitely do that. Probably offer a free BJ to each recruit, too.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Thing is OP. You say how great the UK program is. How much pull it gets. And they end up with Tubby Smith as their last coach. Think about it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Breaking news: www.kentuckysportsradio.com and www.catspause.com reporting a deal is already in place to bring Billy Donovan to Kentucky, even as he is coaching in the Final Four.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Calipari was adament that he isn't leaving and already signed an extension today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calipari was not drawing interest from UK (even as many other coaches are) due to his questionable past and present regarding NCAA violations, so he made the statement to avoid being rebuffed.

He and most any other coach in the country who isn't Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, or Ben Howland would kill for the Kentucky job.

Edited to add: I'll add Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, and Kelvin Sampson to that list, although Izzo is considered by many a current candidate for the UK job. There may be a few others I forgot but you get the idea.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
John Calipari was adament that he isn't leaving and already signed an extension today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calipari was not drawing interest from UK (even as many other coaches are) due to his questionable past and present regarding NCAA violations, so he made the statement to avoid being rebuffed.

He and most any other coach in the country who isn't Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, or Ben Howland would kill for the Kentucky job.

Edited to add: I'll add Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, and Kelvin Sampson to that list, although Izzo is considered by many a current candidate for the UK job. There may be a few others I forgot but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Repeat, you guys got Tubby Smith last time. Obviously coaches aren't falling over each other to get the job. I think a lot of you are way overrating it. It's just like the Bama job, it's almost too hard to please the fans.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking news: www.kentuckysportsradio.com and www.catspause.com reporting a deal is already in place to bring Billy Donovan to Kentucky, even as he is coaching in the Final Four.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming the one story (and the second just quotes the other), what would that say about the two parties involved?