Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Default LO8: out of position w/ good hands and aggro players

I've been thinking and experimenting w/ position in shorthanded games, and specifically in heads-up pots. My play is relatively loose and aggressive and generates more action than some, and I find myself in spots where I end up missing bets or getting outplayed on the turn (i.e. reverse blind structure HU). I usually have a stronger-than-usual hand facing a scary board and a raise from a tight-ish aggressive player who plays well. For now, no low possible. I have a few options.

1) 3-bet light. This may be best, as I get paid off more frequently. Still, sometimes it allows my opponent to fold bluffs and puts me in an uncomfortable position on a lot of river cards. Also, when I'm eventually capped light it's not sweet.

2) Bet/call and bet/fold the river. Fighting the free SD raise and helping my opponent 'look me up' when I want him to. It's a big pot, though, so you need to call the river sometimes, which gets complicated.

3) Bet/call and check the river. Giving up.

4) Avoid this scenario by check/calling the turn with vulnerable made hands. This is interesting, and depends on the flop action a lot. If your opponent perceives no fold equity, you miss bets and don't take advantage of your loose and aggressive image.

Here's one situation that came up recently w/ options:

Party Poker
30/60 Omaha Hi/Lo (5-handed)

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

A) Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)

B) Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)

C) Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)

D) Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players) [I lied. Now we have to deal with a possible low draw.]
Old 02-20-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: LO8: out of position w/ good hands and aggro players

BB's 3-bet on the flop may not necessarily denote a really strong hand,because he may be doing this to get CO out &amp; then plan to take a free card on the turn if the turn card doesn't hit him.Because of this,I would not check any of these cards to him on the turn.On any of them,I would bet into him on the flop &amp; call a raise.If he did not raise,I would bet into him again on the turn.If he did raise the flop,I would check/call the turn if the board did not pair,&amp; check-raise him it if it did.