Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Motherboard Replacment info ??

I bought a new computer just about a year and a half ago. I actually had it built for me. All the parts were guaranteed for a year. Well, it seems that my motherboard is now shot. I was having a problem with it turning off within 30 seconds or so of booting up. I brought it to the geeks at Bestbuy and they said the motherboard is no good. They dont carry or replace motherboards.

So, what I was thinking is that I will go to newegg and purchase the identical motherboard that I originally had and then just install it myself. Only thing is that I have no experience in this type of thing. Can anyone give me any insight into what is required or maybe post up a link to a tutorial.

Any help or advice at all would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Motherboard Replacment info ??

The best buy geek squad is a marketing gimmick more than anything. I've heard many stories of misdiagnoses of problems. Obviously if there is no where else to take it you're stuck with their diagnoses.

That said one of the most common (hardware) causes of reboots is heat buildup. Check to make sure your fans all run when you attempt to power up.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:48 PM

Thank you for the reply. I was a little leary of just accepting there diagnosis but I dont really have any other alternatives that I can think of at the moment. Just as a way of clarification what would happen is that when I turn the PC on it seems to boot correctly. It then shuts off completely within about 15-20 seconds of finishing the boot up. It does not re-start. I have to do that manually. It then goes thru the same boot and turn off routine.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Does it get to Windows and then restart? If so, you can rule out some possibilities. The dead MB excuse is what a lot of techs say when they don't know what's wrong. Do you get a blue screen bf it turns off? It amy flash quickly if you don't have it set to pause during a failure.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM

It gets past windows and then turns off. It seems to get totally booted up ... with all start-up programs loaded and running ... maybe runs for a total of 15 seconds or so ... and then the power simply goes off. It totally shuts down and does not re-boot or re-start.

I do not get a blue screen before the shut down.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM

It could be the motherboard....or the power supply...maybe the CPU...lots of possible problems.

IF the motherboard was the problem then yes you could just buy the same mobo from Newegg and replace it all yourself. It's actually very easy but a little scary the first time. The great thing for you is that you'd be able to exactly where everything was going to be plugged in and you could just take some photos of the setup and match them up on the new mobo.

However, it would really suck to buy a new mobo and find out that's not the problem. Then you are stuck with a new motherboard and the same problem. If that's a risk you aren't willing to take, you should probably try to find a reliable locally owned computer help/repair business and ask them for help. Explain exactly what you have here and tell them that you're working on a budget. You obviously don't want to spend $200 on labor and a mobo on computer over a year old.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

I agree. Ask around and find a reputable repair place. Many of us could fix it for you, but it requires us to have the machine in hand.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM

I would test some of your parts on a friends computer - and see if they work - then you will know what causing the problem - Power supply can be the hardest to figure out of its causing problems - Sounds like its overheating - are all the fans turning? is there stange ticking or anything coming from the hard drive ? these are things you need to look at - GL
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Surprised someone hasn't mentioned this possibility yet - he said that it does boot into Windows, so this means that it may not just be hardware-related. And by his posts, it sounds like it turns off at the same spot EVERY time. Usually with a hardware failure (unless its driver related), it would be a little more random.

To me it sounds like it could be some sort of virus or other infection, along side of the many problems you all have already mentioned. They way that he does not get any errors or dumps is peculiar if it is a hardware issue. Before spending a lot of money, I would run anti-virus and anti-malware scans and see what turns up, then go from there.

/gold
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM

I dont know why I didnt think of this before but how about this ...

When I purchased the machine in question I actually purchased *2* identical machines. So I have a second machine with identical setup and parts. If I remove the MB from my second machine and put it in the first and the first works then I know it is the MB causing the problem correct? If I do this can I cause any additional problems to either machine? I dont want to be trying to solve one machines problems and mess them both up.

Can I swap out the MB from my second now fully functioning machine into the first non-functioning machine and not mess up anything either with the second MB or with the first machine. I hope you guys can understand what I am trying to ask.