Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Default should have bet?

7 Card Stud Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2007/03/26 - 17:14:57 (ET)
Table 'Mercury II' 8-max
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to krispy44 [K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to teo011 [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to basilbu [6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Dealt to patch111 [9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Dealt to donkeyfish27 [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (Hero)
Dealt to vally47 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Dealt to Resita [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Dealt to atomic_punk8 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

atomic_punk8: brings in for $0.10
krispy44: folds
teo011: folds
basilbu: folds
patch111: calls $0.10
donkeyfish27: calls $0.10
vally47: calls $0.10
Resita: calls $0.10

*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to patch111 [9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to donkeyfish27 [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Dealt to vally47 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to Resita [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Dealt to atomic_punk8 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
donkeyfish27: checks
vally47: bets $0.25
Resita: calls $0.25
atomic_punk8: folds
patch111: calls $0.25
donkeyfish27: calls $0.25

*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to patch111 [9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to donkeyfish27 [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Dealt to vally47 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to Resita [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
donkeyfish27: checks
vally47: checks
Resita: checks
patch111: checks

*** 6th STREET ***
Dealt to patch111 [9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Dealt to donkeyfish27 [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Dealt to vally47 [3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Dealt to Resita [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
donkeyfish27: bets $0.50
vally47: folds
Resita: calls $0.50
patch111: folds

*** RIVER ***
Dealt to donkeyfish27 [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
donkeyfish27: bets $0.50
Resita: calls $0.50
*** SHOW DOWN ***
donkeyfish27: shows [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (a flush, Ace high)
Resita: mucks hand
donkeyfish27 collected $3.75 from pot

So should I have bet 5th, or did I play it right? My reasoning behind checking was i was quite strong and i didnt believe a freecard would hurt me because of the way the opponents hands had been played, but could i have bet here to try and shorten the field and get an extra bet in?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: should have bet?

Raise 4th. Everyone will call.

Bet 5th, now that the pot is bigger.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 PM

You should have raised 3rd and 4th and bet 5th. At those stakes nobody is going anywhere on 4th.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM

yeah i knew i played it too soft. i can always tell when i didnt do it right- even though when i win the pot, i don't feel right.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have raised 3rd and 4th and bet 5th. At those stakes nobody is going anywhere on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you say no one is goin anywhere, but i dont yet have a hand on 4th and theres a few spades already out there. wouldnt you want to raise in hopes of isolating your hand against one player? the pots already built well giving you more than enough odds to chase the flush down.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Raise Third for deception and to build the pot. You have an overcard and a three-flush. You want money in the pot. If catching an Ace kills your action on Fourth, you want to rake a pot with some money in it.

Raise Fourth. Your equity is better than most other hands multi-way.

Bet Five. You will get called by draws that may miss and not call on later streets, and if someone has made trips or a strong two-pair, you'll get extra money in.

Sixth and the river are good.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise Third for deception and to build the pot. You have an overcard and a three-flush. You want money in the pot. If catching an Ace kills your action on Fourth, you want to rake a pot with some money in it.

Raise Fourth. Your equity is better than most other hands multi-way.

Bet Five. You will get called by draws that may miss and not call on later streets, and if someone has made trips or a strong two-pair, you'll get extra money in.

Sixth and the river are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your answer the best so far, i heard raise third, but wasnt sure why so thanks for explaining the reasoning.

so because of the raise on third, it adds deception to you not chasing a flush, and if you dont catch it but catch an open pair at least you got extra money in the pot. rodge
Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Raising 3rd is a waste of $$ at these stakes. No one will fold. No one will care whether you have aces or spades.

You will only win by making the best hand.

You want to see 4th as cheaply as possible with a draw hand.

Once you have made the spade on 4th, you are a big money favorite, and should try and get as much money in the pot as possible, either by leading into the field, or raising after all have called.

I'd keep betting even after you make it on 5th. You will usually get action anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you say no one is goin anywhere, but i dont yet have a hand on 4th and theres a few spades already out there. wouldnt you want to raise in hopes of isolating your hand against one player? the pots already built well giving you more than enough odds to chase the flush down.

[/ QUOTE ]
The mistake you're making is thinking that you're the once chasing something down. You may laugh, but think of the raise on 3rd and 4th as an ace-high value bet if you want to. Even with known dead cards you have plenty of equity to build a pot. The raise on 4th does two things - it gets more money into the pot, and it may fold someone out who could later beat you if you only pair your ace or make two small pair. Big draws and overcards is exactly what you want to hammer these micro stakes calling station fools with. Even with 2 spades dead your equity is fine. Tie them into the pot with a lot of early betting and they'll feel compelled to call you down. If you have 4 of them chasing you down, do the math, you don't have to win every time to show positive value.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising 3rd is a waste of $$ at these stakes. No one will fold. No one will care whether you have aces or spades.

You will only win by making the best hand.

You want to see 4th as cheaply as possible with a draw hand.

Once you have made the spade on 4th, you are a big money favorite, and should try and get as much money in the pot as possible, either by leading into the field, or raising after all have called.

I'd keep betting even after you make it on 5th. You will usually get action anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your 3rd analysis. There are a couple dead of your suit and you don't need deception in this game. Now I haven't played a .25/.50 in a while but you have a very good chance of getting a free on 4th if you brick with how passive these games usually are. If your suit was completely live or if you had another overcard I would lean towards pumping up the pot on 3rd.