Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Should I value bet this turn?

MP1 is generally a tight straight foward player who never seems to bluff with air (no cbets), rarely semibluffs, and won't often float the flop with less than top pair or decent draw. However, recently he has seemed to open up both his calling/raising ranges preflop and pattern trapped me when he semibluffed the flop and got paid off when the flush hit. We have been jousting with many 2 tone flops. and I have been mixing my draws up quite a bit with leadouts, check/calls, check/raises. My image is semi-tight, aggressive.

Live $5/$3/$2(button) spread $5-$200
I have roughly $300 and villain has me covered.

EP1 limps
EP2 limps
MP1 limps
I limp in MP2 with KdTh
Button completes
SB completes
BB checks

Pot $30, Flop: QdJd9s

Checks to me, I bet $25, folds to MP1 who calls.

Pot: $80, Turn: 8d

MP1 checks and I go into the tank. MP1 laughs and says that turn must really have you thinking and I reply I was thinking the same thing.

Edit: I have been having a record bad day up to then with bad luck (10 bad beats vs 2-9 outers), bad timing (I made variance raises 3 times into AA/KK), and bad cards, I have lost every 2 tone hand vs draw battle so far when my draws always seem to miss and his draws always seem to hit. so I may seem a little tilty.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Should I value bet this turn?

I doubt he has a flush by his reaction. So I'd bet 65 and call a shove. I'm looking to get the money in here not play a small pot when we have only 60 bb's anyways. Only problem is if you think he has some kind of weak queen and will fold to a bet. If that's the case then sure you can check behind on the turn to get better action on the river. That's a terrible card for him to try and c/r with a flush though if you have anything but a straight, that's why i like betting.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Should I value bet this turn?

I think your right and I'm pretty sure I knew that. His comment should have tipped me off. The thing was, I thought he was mixing it up and since he already did the straight forward play and the semi-bluff, I felt he would try a trap if the opportunity arose. This had become more a game of Ro Sham Bo. My first thought was that he could be trapping with the nuts since I didn't think he was on just a straight draw but could be playing QT. Then his comment made me think otherwise and confused me. Also he was the kind of player that could laydown a hand as strong as 2 pair with such a danger card. At that point my indecision was beginning to make me look weak so I went with that and checked behind.

Of course a blank diamond came off and he checked, I bet, he folded.

He turned over the T,8 straight no diamond and said I really played that bad. I showed my hand and said I played it worse. Ugh, flop straight over straight and get the minimum! At least I was right in that he was ready to try a trap.