Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 11:09 PM

Default 2/4 Buy in Amount?

I am curious if anyone has a set amount of money that they think is good for a buy in at 2/4. I don't want to sit down with so much money that people don't want to play with me.. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Buy in Amount?

Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 PM

This is not really a big worry. Just make sure you have $48 when each hand starts.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 PM

$100 is what I usually sit down with for a couple of reasons...

First, if you sit down with say $30-40, it looks like you are there with scared money. Some of the more experienced player will love to attack you.

Second, haveing a bigger stack infront of you looks like you know what you are doing. Some of the new players arriving to the table will know that most likely a player. This also come in handy when you wnat to semi-bluff... you can usually scoop the pot right there.

Having $100+ infront of your where most have less, will also allow you to be comfortable for most of the night. Having at least $48 to start a hand is good. Nothing sucks more than having a monster and not being able to juice the pot even more!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:38 AM

yeah

I think 50 x bb sounds pretty good.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 PM

I buy in for $150 because I don't want to ever have to worry about the $48 rule. The only variation from that is on Crypto where I alway buy-in for more than anyone else has since I have seen many times where some donky 26 bets against some guy with the nuts. I have been that guy twice and you need to make sure that you have him covered.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 PM

The answer is it doesn't matter. As long as you have about 12 BB in front of you at any time, the amount of money you buy-in doesn't matter.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is it doesn't matter. As long as you have about 12 BB in front of you at any time, the amount of money you buy-in doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact - while the size of a buy-in may not matter a lot - it does, in fact, matter to a certain extent. Mason details why buy-in size matters in one of his Poker Essays Volumes (I believe #2). He gives several reasons why buying in a little larger can be a good thing. Although I don't remember each reason he gave - I do remember one reason which was:

Other players may enter the game not knowing how much you bought in for and assume that you've been winning. This can have a positive effect on your image against these players.

So like I said - I'm not going to agree that the buy-in size is an overly significant factor. But I will not submit that it, in absolute terms, does not matter. I will also guess that this would matter more in LIVE play than online... but I'm sure it's applicable to a certain extent online as well....
Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 PM

$200

hit okay to the initial buy-in, hit okay to rebuy. NUMBER KEYS NOT NEEDED! I'm the man