Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Buy In for Max Always???

It isn't scared money - it is just all the money I have available out there with the Neteller crap going on. (I need to look into other funding opps...) I have a fixed amount available at FT and I am having difficulty adding more to it to play more. So, the 45BB or so stakes at a single table in the example I was referencing was the last of the bankroll. The question about variation is because I am on such a low bankroll and I don't have the option of lower limits at the site I am all but locked in to, so I have to hope I can minimize the swings until I can build it back up again. That's my goal - trying to build up again, so if I ever can take it off the site, there will be something worth getting. So I guess you could call it scared money, but it really isn't because if I lose it, c'est la vie... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM

1)i buy in for just below max buy in as reduces my busto's... doesnt affect my betting tho...e.g. $60-75 in 100NL..
2)i dont rebuy money into the table as i prefer to know how much money i am down and also if im donking it slows me down
3)with $34.. i play 3X 10NL..
Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM

If you think you have the edge over other players always reaload to max. If you don't think you have the edge... then leave the table.

Also use proper bankroll management and you won't have to worry about variance.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP

Read this terrific post by Pokey, it has it all. If you read it, and ever again intentionally sit at a table with less than the full buy-in, I will be very surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - great article and info to consider. I guess that other partial buy in is best suited to reload after posting that first BB...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also use proper bankroll management and you won't have to worry about variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - That raises another question - What is "good bankroll management?" I've seen that a couple of times and even searched but not seen a good explanation... I haven't even seen a great explanation in any of the books - seems most of them point to playing at the right level as good management. Is that all there is to it?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM

Well, the accepted rule is ~20 buyins to play at a level but I don't think you need $200 to play 10NL or $500 to play at 25NL. But with $35 just understand that you are VERY borderline. I know because I started playing 10NL with $50. As someone who was in your spot a few months ago I would recommend just playing one table at a time until you better understand all the concepts in the stickies - never open limping, what hands to play and where, c-betting, etc. It is possible to take 3-4 bad beats in a day playing 4 tables at once and then you're busto. Practice some of the methods and concepts in the stickies. You'll know when its time to add more tables. Its when you ask yourself, "How can I win some more money?" instead of "How can I keep from losing more money?"
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK - That raises another question - What is "good bankroll management?" I've seen that a couple of times and even searched but not seen a good explanation... I haven't even seen a great explanation in any of the books - seems most of them point to playing at the right level as good management. Is that all there is to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to find your risk of ruin for your current bankroll. Risk of ruin is dependent on bankroll, standard deviation, and your win rate. Here is a basic calculator: http://support3.com/poker/bankroll/ror.asp

You should select a bankroll and limit so that your risk of ruin is tolerable. I can tell you that your risk of ruin on a 340BB bankroll is very high, even if you're a world class player. Many players here have gone through downswings of 10 buy-ins (1000BB) or even more.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)i buy in for just below max buy in as reduces my busto's... doesnt affect my betting tho...e.g. $60-75 in 100NL..
2)i dont rebuy money into the table as i prefer to know how much money i am down and also if im donking it slows me down
3)with $34.. i play 3X 10NL..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to pick, but this is really bad advice. You can track how much you are down or up and still rebuy. Invest in Poker Tracker.

Here's why this is bad: You have been cold decked at 100NL and have $43 in your stack. You are dealt AA on the button. MP moves in for $100. Now, the most you can make here is $43, instead of $100 if you had a full stack.

Playing this way can seriously hurt your win rate.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM

there are positives and negatives to everything.. in my experience where i have been down on a table is either because i have donked off chips or been bad beated... i probably rebuy into a table if i am playing well.. if not then i leave it...
Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are positives and negatives to everything.. in my experience where i have been down on a table is either because i have donked off chips or been bad beated... i probably rebuy into a table if i am playing well.. if not then i leave it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend basing your decision to play or not on how others at the table are playing, not necessarily how you are playing. Sometimes we just get bad cards and get sucked out on. That's not a good reason to leave a table full of loose passives.