Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Default MTT. Stop n Go, Go n Go

Could some please explain to me when the approx correct time to use the above 2 moves are. I've been chatting to someone about them and I'm now not sure I'm using them correctly (ie. right time and for what reason). Also would role does FE play in using them?

An example as well would be much appreciated.

Cheers people.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: MTT. Stop n Go, Go n Go

There's a thread about this in the anthology.

At least there is a thread about a StopnGo. I've no idea what a go and go is.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Raymer's post in the anthology talks about the SNG.

Shaundeeb's guide to the 180s talks about the Go n Go a bit. Linked here.

I'll speak about the SNG, because I 1) use it more often, 2) think I know more about. Others can jump in to correct me where I am wrong.

The SNG works well against ONE preflop raiser. I prefer to make the move myself when my stack is around 10BBs. Basically, say an aggressive villain raises 3xBB from the CO and everyone folds to you with 10BBs in the BB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Well, you certainly want to play your hand, but if you shove all in, you have little FE. (1.5 dead BBS, + 3 from Villain, + 9 BBs from you = 13.5 BBs and villain has to call 6 BBs so he is getting better than 2:1). If you knew the villain had two overcards, shoving would be a fine play...but we don't know that.

Villain could be raising with a hand like 88. So, you just call (pot = 7.5BBs) leaving yourself with 6 BBs. Now you shove all-in on any flop which is approximately a PSB. Unless villain hit his hand or has a big pair, he is going to have a difficult time calling. He may even fold hands that you are behind like 88 on an AJ4 flop. Whereas had you shoved PF, he would have had an easy call.

So would you ever Stop N Go with a hand like AA? Probably not. You would much rather he got involved in the pot. The general consensus is that SNGs work well when you have 10BBs, are against 1 raiser, and your call will close the action. Most people like to do this with PPs, but suited connections and Ax type of hands also work well in my experience (you could use literally any hand you wanted though).

Hope that helps.

Sherman
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM

That has helped alot. Thanks.