Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Default T-shirt website

I'm pretty decent with Photoshop and was wondering what it takes to create a website where I can sell t-shirts with my designs printed on them. I don't want to have to physically deal with the t-shirts myself, but I've heard of sites like cafepress where you don't have to physically print the designs on the shirts yourself. I have no idea how these sites work though. What is the cost to set up a store on a website such as cafepress and sell shirts with your designs on them to people? I don't want this to be a serious income for myself, just a little hobby where I could possibly make some extra money. Sorry if this is all really basic stuff, but I have no experience with this and was hoping someone who knows more about it could help. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: T-shirt website

Just go through the process of signing up on cafepress. You don't have to pay anything at all. They automatically create your *store* for you.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 PM

So say if I upload a few designs to cafe press and charge $10 a shirt for example, I don't have to pay cafe press anything to make the shirt and send it to the customer?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Straight from the website:

[ QUOTE ]
How much does it cost?

With our Basic Shop, you can start selling for free. And, there are no inventory costs associated with selling products through either a Basic or Premium Shop.

Each item you sell has a base price. You simply markup the base price by the amount you wish to earn for each product you sell. When you sell a product, we keep the base price and you earn the markup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Thanks a lot, I somehow missed the part about the base price when looking at their website.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM

No problem
Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Cafepress is great. I set up a "premium" shop for $60 a year. With just a few designes it pays for itself and then some.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Someone pm me a referl code for this site if you want the referel.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 AM

Yeah, CafePress is awesome. You pretty much just upload your designs and you're good to go. You'll probably need to get a premium shop for about $6 a month if you want more than one design. Now that I have sites going, it just comes out of the profits, so you might only pay actual money in the begining.

A lot of my designs even show up high in Google ratings thanks to CafePress submitting your designs to Froogle. Once you set it all up, its pretty maintenance free. I haven't done anything to upgrade my sites in a while and the money just keeps coming. Nothing to break the bank, but I can get about $100 a month for not doing a whole lot these days. It was slower going when I first started. You end up making about $2 for every item you sell. Not great, but you aren't paying upfront for inventory, dealing with shipping or processing credit cards.

I want to make some more designs and sites, but I just haven't had time. Especially since they have recently added black t-shirts. My sites are below, you don't need a seperate domain name, but I like it and it pays for itself. I like telling people to go to BabyPokerTour.com instead of CafePress.com/BabyPokerTour. You can get a domain name at GoDaddy.com and just set it up to forward to your CafePress site.

www.BabyPokerTour.com
www.YourUsaBaby.com
www.BadBeatKing.com

I've had a few shops that failed though, so its not always going to work. Just depends on what you are selling and how good the designs are.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:21 AM

Good stuff... One thing I'm doing differently than you is I have all of my different "stores" as sections under the same premium account, so I'm not paying the extra money. The upside is only having to pay once. The downside is I don't get to do custom menus and backgrounds (at least, I haven't figured out how).

I recently resolved to add more images to my stores in the near future. Maybe soon we'll have to have a cafepress forum challenge.