Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: AQ line check

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Albert, folding AQ UTG seems really bad at anywhere below midstakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You expect KQ/JQ to call your cb and river value bet often enough to offset the times you pay off AK? And you expect weak-tight villains to fold to your cb's instead of floating every time you both miss the flop?

I play a lot live with mostly loose passive players, a couple of LAGs, and a hand full of TAGs. When I have AQo in EP, if I limp, I usually either have a 6-or-more-way pot, or else I'm raised from LP and there are 3-or-more-players to the flop if I just call the raise. Then if I raise, I often end up in a 4- or 5-way pot OOP in a pretty big pot with TPTK/TP2K at best and little chance to improve my hand.

I've found it a whole lot cheaper to just let go UTG as the default play.

Now, that having been said, AQs isn't much better hot-n-cold vs AQo, but I'll raise AQs UTG because I usually have at least a back-door flush to go with my TP when I hit the flop. My cbs then get called by all kinds of draws, TPWK, and some underpairs. If I miss, I usually just c/f in those multi-way pots instead of wasting a cb into 3 or 4 loose passives. And occasionally, if I run into trouble, that backdoor flush draw occasionally comes in really handy. Also, leading out with a 2-heart flush draw is also good, since when it hits on the turn, it is often somewhat disguished.

I usually play 1/2 100 max buy-in and 3/2 300 max buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are right on with your play for the loose live games. In internet games where things get tighter I think you can make an argument for all three plays given different tables.

At an aggressive table you can just fold it UTG.
At a super tight table you can raise 3xBB and steal the blinds.
At a table full of weak calling stations where your post flop skills are better than your opponents you can limp with it and play poker after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above - Except why not raise the weak calling stations and play poker after the flop?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: AQ line check

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Albert, folding AQ UTG seems really bad at anywhere below midstakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You expect KQ/JQ to call your cb and river value bet often enough to offset the times you pay off AK? And you expect weak-tight villains to fold to your cb's instead of floating every time you both miss the flop?

I play a lot live with mostly loose passive players, a couple of LAGs, and a hand full of TAGs. When I have AQo in EP, if I limp, I usually either have a 6-or-more-way pot, or else I'm raised from LP and there are 3-or-more-players to the flop if I just call the raise. Then if I raise, I often end up in a 4- or 5-way pot OOP in a pretty big pot with TPTK/TP2K at best and little chance to improve my hand.

I've found it a whole lot cheaper to just let go UTG as the default play.

Now, that having been said, AQs isn't much better hot-n-cold vs AQo, but I'll raise AQs UTG because I usually have at least a back-door flush to go with my TP when I hit the flop. My cbs then get called by all kinds of draws, TPWK, and some underpairs. If I miss, I usually just c/f in those multi-way pots instead of wasting a cb into 3 or 4 loose passives. And occasionally, if I run into trouble, that backdoor flush draw occasionally comes in really handy. Also, leading out with a 2-heart flush draw is also good, since when it hits on the turn, it is often somewhat disguished.

I usually play 1/2 100 max buy-in and 3/2 300 max buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are right on with your play for the loose live games. In internet games where things get tighter I think you can make an argument for all three plays given different tables.

At an aggressive table you can just fold it UTG.
At a super tight table you can raise 3xBB and steal the blinds.
At a table full of weak calling stations where your post flop skills are better than your opponents you can limp with it and play poker after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above - Except why not raise the weak calling stations and play poker after the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because if you do have stations at your table you would be building a big pot that you will have to play OOP.