Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Default dealer error, ruling?

low limit weekly home game, everyone's friends and it is as much about drinking and making fun of eachother as it is about poker. actually, none of that matters. what does is this:

im dealing, after the flop i put the deck down cause the action is slow getting to me and i want to light a smoke. action complete and i pick up the deck to deal the turn and drop it, cards everywhere, some face up, some face down. all [censored] up.

what now? collect the cards, reshuffle, burn, and turn? thats what i think, but i'd like some input.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: dealer error, ruling?

Not really a "Dealer Error", maybe a dealer mishap.

Carefully pick up the cards except for the mucked and turned cards, then reshuffle and continue. I'm guessing everyone would be ok with this.

I could not find a ruling on this in Robert's Rules.

Good Luck!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2007, 10:53 PM

You forgot the part about the dealer giving himself the standard HP punishment.....

:P
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM

What pismeyer said in his post seems to be the only real way to deal with what happened.

In our home game... any error by the dealer (flipping cards during dealing hole cards, exposing cards during burning, dealing flop/turn/river before action is over for that street, etc.) costs the dealer a small blind, which is then put into the rake pot for the night.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM

I've never really seen the point of making people pay money for making a mistake; especially not as little as the small blind. Mistakes happen, there are guidelines to fix them in the official rule book. In any case in which cards are delt before the action is over, the deck is shuffled and a new card is put out, it's very simple.

I haven't actually heard of this happening (wild deck I mean) but I'd handle it the same way as you said, shuffle it up and do it again.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM

When we first started our home game, there was a rash of atrocious dealing where people would routinely flip 2 or 3 cards each time they dealt. We figured that if there was a small penalty involved, it would make people more aware of how they deal and would help keep the game going smoothly. Now... it's rare that we have more than 2 dealing errors a night.

Also... we are only playing 0.25/0.50, so it's not a huge penalty.