LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (BTN): $16.80
SB: $6.9
BB: $30.75
UTG: $6.05
MP: $7.40
CO: $10.90

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.15, 6 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.35</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $0.35, SB folds, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.85, 2 players)
MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, MP calls $0.50

<font color="black">Turn:</font> T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($1.85, 2 players)
<font color="red">MP bets $1.85</font>, Hero calls $1.85

<font color="black">River:</font> T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] ($5.55, 2 players)
<font color="red">MP bets all in for $4.70</font>, Hero folds

Overpair? Queen? Did I go too far with this?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: NL10 - Paired Board with a Piece

Your opponent raised preflop, check-called flop and bet potsized out of position on the turn. What do you think he had?

There actually are a few hands possible here, especially since your flop bet is a bit small. Some players see that as a sign of potential weakness and get tricky. So if you bet, you probably want to bet more like $0.7 - $0.8.
But apart from that, out of all the possible hands he could have, there's one that you see most of the time there and that's indeed Qx. Or TT, which doesn't help you, either.

Of course, there's another point to add, which might be more beneficial than me just saying "check-fold turn":

Why did you call the preflop raise?
Of course, reads would be nice here, even the marginal ones. And I mean reads on your opponent as well as what you suspect your table image to be. But I'll go with the imo most likely case here: you didn't have that much of a table image and your opponent didn't do anything remarkable until now. In that case I think it's generally a good idea to give your opponent some respect for his hand since he raised and we can assume we're behind preflop. Now JTs is a nice hand and I can see why you don't like folding it. You called it preflop, which, I think, is fine. You could raise here to take over control since you're in position, but again, you probably don't want to do that with suited connectors, especially with that big stack acting behind you on the big blind - reads on the big blind would be nice here as well.

Okay, let's get to the point. You called with suited connectors, which is fine, and you took a stab at the flop once you hit it, which is fine as well. On the turn, though, your opponent is still around and I think it's time to remember why you called preflop. I assume it's because you figured yourself behind but with a great chance to stack MP and preferably BB as well with a straight or a flush. I really understand that it's nice to have hit a flop, been there myself, but the reality of the situation is: instead of your initial plan (I assume you had the same train of thoughts as I did), the BB never entered the pot, MP is still there on the turn and you have middle pair mediocre kicker with two clear outs to a boat facing a pot-sized bet.

If I had sat there on your seat, it probably would have been a bit of a tough fold, so I can understand your line. But I believe one point we (as "rookies") have to work on to become better players is the ability to lay down a marginal hand. And if there ever was one, this is it.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: NL10 - Paired Board with a Piece

fold for the psb on turn... if he's willing to double barrel here with a hand you beat so be it... find a different spot.