Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Hero makes thin call.

Villain had played like 20 hands. Only noticed one pot he has been playing where he moved in for 8$ preflop with KK.

Gah converter aint working.
STAGE #611488536: HOLDEM NO LIMIT $0.25 - 2007-03-23 13:05:27 (ET)
Table: CORAL WAY (Real Money) Seat #5 is the dealer
Seat 5 - FIRSTTIMER03 ($56.45 in chips)
Seat 1 - RAISERS ($72.20 in chips)
Seat 2 - 2W3BUDDY ($7.85 in chips)
Seat 3 - 3OUTERLOSS ($8.15 in chips)
Seat 4 - MAPAL2710 ($12.60 in chips)
RAISERS - Posts small blind $0.10
2W3BUDDY - Posts big blind $0.25
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to RAISERS [Jh Ad]
3OUTERLOSS - Folds
MAPAL2710 - Calls $0.25
FIRSTTIMER03 - Folds
RAISERS - Raises $1.15 to $1.25
2W3BUDDY - Calls $1
MAPAL2710 - Calls $1
*** FLOP *** [8d 3s 8c]
RAISERS - Bets $1.50
2W3BUDDY - All-In(Raise) $6.60 to $6.60
MAPAL2710 - Folds
RAISERS - Calls $5.10
*** TURN *** [8d 3s 8c] [8h]
*** RIVER *** [8d 3s 8c 8h] [2c]

]

Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Hero makes thin call.

Yikes; I'm not a fan of this hand. My problems with this hand:

1. AJo is not a hand I'd raise from the SB. It's speculative at best. If you ARE going to raise it, you need to raise it like you mean it -- I'd probably go $1.50 or $1.75 in the hopes of scooping the pot preflop.

2. Your flop bet is tiny. In a three-way pot, c-bets aren't mandatory (especially when you're OOP). Giving up with a check-fold would be fine. Alternatively, if you choose to c-bet because you have information that your folding equity will be solid (which you can't really know after 20 hands) then you should make a bet of $2 or $2.50 -- something in the neighborhood of 2/3rds of the pot.

3. Fold to the raise. You have NOTHING. Even if villain is bluffing, he could easily be bluffing with the best hand. If he's NOT bluffing, you're dead in the water. There is no way you can justify throwing an extra $5 into the pot with this hand -- remember, even to pick off a bluff you need to have a hand that can beat a bluff. You don't.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM

I disagree pokey, you see worse hands here ALOT imho. I think AJ > their range, (I always raise this hands vs 2 shortstacks), and the flop didnt hit them at all.

I would raise more preflop so IF they have us beat with a PP or something, we still have the odds to call with our overcards, which I think are live.

Shortstacks tend to push preflop with a good hand, or flop when they think you didnt hit.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM

I raised preflop because it was a very loose table. And why dont I beat a bluff? I am also getting odds 2:1, so I dont need to win it any time. I had problems seeing anyone being able to hit this flop, and I think a small CB would accompliush exactely the same as a larger one. Maybe I would even get call from weaker hands, and I would be able to fold if someone came over the top.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Pokey means a bluff like 22 shoving over, Hoping you fold.

I raise the SB with AJ, I think that's fine.

Flop bet is super weak, but against two loose players, I let this go. If you c-bet, pot it and tell them that you're serious.

as played, I probably fold to raise without a read he will shove back with air.

EDIT: Now that I think about more, I think AJ is more likely to be a favorite since, you bet so weakly into the pot, his move might be a bluff. I guess the call is ok, but I'd fold anyways.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes; I'm not a fan of this hand. My problems with this hand:

1. AJo is not a hand I'd raise from the SB. It's speculative at best. If you ARE going to raise it, you need to raise it like you mean it -- I'd probably go $1.50 or $1.75 in the hopes of scooping the pot preflop.

2. Your flop bet is tiny. In a three-way pot, c-bets aren't mandatory (especially when you're OOP). Giving up with a check-fold would be fine. Alternatively, if you choose to c-bet because you have information that your folding equity will be solid (which you can't really know after 20 hands) then you should make a bet of $2 or $2.50 -- something in the neighborhood of 2/3rds of the pot.

3. Fold to the raise. You have NOTHING. Even if villain is bluffing, he could easily be bluffing with the best hand. If he's NOT bluffing, you're dead in the water. There is no way you can justify throwing an extra $5 into the pot with this hand -- remember, even to pick off a bluff you need to have a hand that can beat a bluff. You don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 PM

instafold to that push. He is a small stack, you can get him later.

on a loose table ill occassionally raise AJ oop too. that is not the error in this hand, its the thin call that is wrong here.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:34 PM

if he is trigger happy u might have the better hand against him (Ax x being lower than your kicker) but in the long run IMO is not profitable to call this raises with nothing any small pocket pair beats u and if not they can suck out on u easily so i won´t make a habit of calling this allin raises with overcards.

Like a fellow poster said save ur chips and stack him when u have a better spot.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM

I don't think it is the question of saving chips and waiting for a better spot that is the question here. It is the question if I am good enough time to make this profitable. I only have to win this around 30% of the time to make the call profitable. Against 22 I think I win it around 25% of the time. But he might just have 9T or a weaker ace where I am big favourite.