Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Crying call on the river?

I seriously considered folding the river but made the crying call. I guess I should have just checked the river but I was planning to bet and fold to a raise but couldn't fold anyway. Was pf call ok?

UTG: Unknown new player
UTG+1: LAG 60/25
CO: Fishy 45/0

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (10.25BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 14.25BB
Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Crying call on the river?

dont bet the flop, thats a def Hee-haw move. not to mention hitting the J gives tons of hands a solid redraw.

this rivers not a crying call its a must call unfortunately
Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM

Why is betting the flop a mistake? If there is no flush draw, I have very good pot equity. Even if there is a fd I am not in very bad shape with my 6 outs. Of course a J might not be a clean out but check calling seemed too weak.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 PM

Surely someone must bet turn. I would go for a checkraise on turn. Then itīs also easier to put someone on a flush draw.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM

I like your bet on the flop. You want everybody to contribute to the pot and I think a bet does just that. The pot is to big to fold against an unknown player on river. Well played!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM

I don't like the flop donk either. You *may* have enough equity but as you said yourself a J may not be a good card and there is a flush draw possibly out there tainting your outs. I'm check-calling the flop.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM

I am glad I finally called the river, because UTG had Q5o and a top pair hand and I scooped the pot. Nice try from him to raise the river. I guess I remembered folding KQ on a J-T-9-8-x board when the flush card fell on the river and an early position player checked, I bet, the 3rd player behind me called and the 1st player check raised us both. I folded for one bet fearing a sure flush in a huge pot, and the 3rd player folded as well. EP player showed Qx and a Q-high straight and I went on tilt after folding the winner in a 16bb pot.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop donk either. You *may* have enough equity but as you said yourself a J may not be a good card and there is a flush draw possibly out there tainting your outs. I'm check-calling the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, also, river is easy call, non crying...
Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM

I thought about turn c/r but last time I did it in a same kind of a hand it got checked through and the board paired on the river and someone filled up (he checked his set on the turn).
Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 PM

betting the flop is bad, just trust us....

even if ur hand was the AcXc betting would probably still not be ur best option ( barring AQ obvi).... is that true guys?

folding that KQ hand is pretty nutso too, just cuz as u saw 1 time in 10 or whatever ur pot odds were the guy will have a bare Q, just go for the overcall dont try to make that big lay down.