Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Resteal

I posted this about a week ago in the MTT section and did not get a response. I am trying to understand resteals better, or what are the minimum requirements for a resteal?

In a $300 MTT LIVE with the blinds at 200-400 last night I held J7s on the button.

The CO, who seemed very competent and aggressive, open raises to $1600. CO stack roughly $11K, UR stack $9000, and the blinds were roughly $5000 each. IS J7s enough and if so how much should I raise? If J7s is enough then how low can I go to resteal?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Resteal

Learning this myself ... seems that restealing is very read dependent

Both your read on CO and what your image is at the table.

So is he Lag or Tag? How have you played the last couple of orbits?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Villain was LAG, I was TAG.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM

I don't like a resteal in this spot because of your stack size. You have 22 BBs. The best stack size to resteal over a raiser is 14 - 18ish BBs and you'd push. 22 BBs is really too much to risk on a straight steal here.

And the J7 part doesn't really matter. A true resteal is a purely situational play and the cards don't matter. I'm not yet at the level where I can confidently resteal with total air... I like to have at least some showdown value to make this play. But many better players than me will tell you that good cards are a luxury here rather than a necessity.

Also, beware the 4x raise. I'm not sure if this applies as much in live games, but online that's a pretty reliable tell that he's not throwing his hand away. So your FE is significantly reduced here.

Diagnosis: fold.

Matt
Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM

First I think the most commen resteal is all-in. Your stack seems just alittle on the big side to do this. I would hate to RR here and be pot stuck with crap hand.

I think you are caught up on your cards, a resteal is just that a steal. The situation is more important than the cards, ie I am sure that he is folding everthing but top 10% holdings here, and he has opened light enough that he is folding alot.

Although I did watch RANDERS last night push over CO (30bb)3Xraise , from the button 5 orbits in a row with 25bb late in the going in the 10 rebuy. CO folded everytime, what a donk.