Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Re: 50nl AQ played weak!

[ QUOTE ]
Would someone care to sum up the arguments against raising for information for a beginner?

[/ QUOTE ]

The main argument here is even if he is slowplaying you can likely get to a showdown for less than the cost of a raise.

Why pay to find out your are likely screwed when a call-call line costs the same or less and you get to see a showdown, i.e. dont get bluffed, and sometimes catch the Q or J to win the pot.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would someone care to sum up the arguments against raising for information for a beginner?

[/ QUOTE ]

The info you get is not accurate enough for the price you pay. When people call your raise, you know just as little as you did before. Only when they fold you know, that you probably had the best hand or that your opponents are weak. When they reraise, you MIGHT know that you are behind. But when villain is aggro, you still don't know if he is bluffing.

So in the huge majority of cases you end up in a huge pot without really knowing anything. So "information" can be one factor among some others like value or bluffing but should never be the only reason to raise.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the responses regarding the information raise. I suspected those would be the arguments, but I appreciate confirmation.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM

thanks for all the comments! i realised i [censored] this hand up on the flop.. i dont like raising the turn. i screwed up the river by checking too [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]:

SB had k5s, and the other guy mucked
Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM

i like your line. we maximized profits. on a serious note bet half pottish on the river. the sb cant possibly be that strong, hopefully he gets curious and calls.