Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Turn raise HU when there is a pair on board?

This has happened many times. I am BB and everyone folds and SB completes. I have AJ, I raise and SB calls. Flop is J-6-6 r and SB check-calls the flop and checks the blank turn. SB now check-raises and I don't know what to do. I feel that every time I call down he shows a 6 but I find it difficult to fold to turn check-raise. Should I just let it go if I have no special information on SB? Should I often check the turn behind? It seems dangerous since any overcard could beat you. Call down seems expensive because pot is quite small but on the other hand AJ is pretty good HU even on that board. It is frustrating to get check-raised like this when you have a real hand you like. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Turn raise HU when there is a pair on board?

I am not folding a hand this strong in a blind battle. I wouldn't normally consider checking the turn behind here, but it is something to think about.

reads would be helpful for putting villain on a range, but I think we are wa/wb most of the time on this turn when villain open limps so I'm not too worried about giving free cards. the turn check could be good for metagame maybe? when I have nothing in this position I will give up a lot of the time, so we would be discouraging villain from taking shots at the river when we check behind the turn.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 PM

easy call down bvb. Easy value bet on the turn as well.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 AM

If this is an easy call down then what kind of a hand could SB have that he would play like this and you can beat? He completed the SB, which means he could easily have a 6 in his hand. If he has a weak J or catches a pair on the turn, he would probably only call down. A smaller pocket pair or a J would also probably lead the flop and call down if raised.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 AM

Just call down the raise. Its a blindbattle and you have a very good hand. Folding shouldnt even be close as long as you dont have a very solid passive read on the sb. He could be opencompleting with J8 as well as 76, and in a blind battle I see people wait and c/r the turn. Checking the turn with this strong hand seems nonstandard. Remeber that he may choose this spot in a blindbattle to c/r bluff also and you dont get those money if you check.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Well actually, you're only worried about the K or Q to beat you but I think that I usually bet again on the turn and if he c/r's I call down too. I hate that feeling but unless I have a read on a player I don't think you can fold. If he's pretty abc then I think yes, then fold but if he's a TAG or LAG then I don't. I think this is a good question though and like to see other responses.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is an easy call down then what kind of a hand could SB have that he would play like this and you can beat? He completed the SB, which means he could easily have a 6 in his hand. If he has a weak J or catches a pair on the turn, he would probably only call down. A smaller pocket pair or a J would also probably lead the flop and call down if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a Lag those J's or pps may very well do this. Also, I sometimes do this with marginal holdings on ragged or paired flops against a villain that I know auto bets blind battle flops when checked to and fires again on the turn. Not always, but sometimes. Anyway, to me it's not an "easy" calldown but most of the time I'm doing it unless players pretty weak tight or abc.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Once in a limit tournament I was close to getting in the money and I raised KJ in CO, BB called. Flop was K-6-6 r, and BB check called. Turn was 4, BB check raised and I put him on a 6 and folded. Then he showed A4 and I had only about 5-6 big blinds left and I was on tilt. I would probably have made it in the money had I called or raised the turn.

In 5/10 limit I have often lost to trips when calling down, but sometimes I have been check raised with same kind of a hand as in that tournament situation. If you sometimes call down, maybe you then you should just always call down, it is very difficult to have a read that he has made trips on the flop.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Grinder,

you're running bad.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Yes, I think you're right so that's why I'd call down unless you've got a read on villain that you've never seen him do funky stuff and plays very abc.