Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: So, Boston is openly throwing games now?

I don't know what makes you think the players are mailing it in/tanking/throwing games. For one thing, at least some of them know they won't be around the next year so why should they care about helping a future ex-employer in the draft? Furthermore, even if they do stick around they'll be competing for cap space against the new rookie and everyone else, and performance is their bargaining tool. It's simply not in their best interest to do anything but try their hardest. Then for some there is pride.

It's like these phantom injuries, I don't know how MIL can convince Villanueva to be "hurt" when he's clearly not. I mean, all players have nagging injuries at this time of year and perhaps they could be compelled to sit, but I think most players really do want to be competing unless there is a real injury or threat to their career if they do.

Obviously GMs care about maxing out their chance at the top pick. It just seems to me to be awfully hard to impart that upon their players.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM

tuq,

what can al jefferson do from the bench to win games?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:29 PM

I don't think players would tank, but I could see a coach pulling his players early due to pressure from management.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

what can al jefferson do from the bench to win games?

[/ QUOTE ]
The same thing M.L. Carr did.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And the question isn't whether Durant is better than Oden. The question is whether Durant plus an average 5 is a better combination than Oden plus an average 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key part. I think the general thinking is that Durant >> (insert random SF) while Oden >>>>>>> (insert random C).

I think this is very clearly true when you look at the talent in today's NBA. Think of all the good scoring wing players: Kobe, Wade, Lebron, McGrady, Pierce, Carter, Arenas, Carmelo, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Joe Johnson, etc. Now think of all the good defensive bigs with some sort of offensive potential: Duncan, Dwight Howard, maybe Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal. They are just so much harder to find and have such a huge impact on your team.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And the question isn't whether Durant is better than Oden. The question is whether Durant plus an average 5 is a better combination than Oden plus an average 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key part. I think the general thinking is that Durant >> (insert random SF) while Oden >>>>>>> (insert random C).

I think this is very clearly true when you look at the talent in today's NBA. Think of all the good scoring wing players: Kobe, Wade, Lebron, McGrady, Pierce, Carter, Arenas, Carmelo, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Joe Johnson, etc. Now think of all the good defensive bigs with some sort of offensive potential: Duncan, Dwight Howard, Al Jerfferson . . . They are just so much harder to find and have such a huge impact on your team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM

I could see players on lottery teams being bored at a season that's 30 games too long and not giving a [censored].
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see players on lottery teams being bored at a season that's 30 games too long and not giving a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics have so many guys who are coming up for new contracts for that to happen.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM

what makes you believe oden has offensive potential? he looks like dikembe mutombo v2.0
Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Everyone will realize Oden was a terrible pick as soon as he breaks a hip halfway through his rookie season and people find out he's actually 45.