Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Default 4/8 Live otb with AKo

Good game at Commerce. Almost everyone at the table is a fish and/or calling station. Villain is the most taggish player at the table, but that's not saying much.

Full table and everyone limps in to Villain in MP. Villain Raises, 2 folds, Hero 3-bets with AKo on the button, everyone calls, Villain caps, everyone calls.

7 players to the flop for 28sb
Flop is J84r
Checked to villain who bets, Hero raises, 3 callers, villain 3-bets, all call.

5 to the turn for 21bb
Turn is a 2 completing rainbow. checked to villain who bets, Hero calls?

I raised the flop to slow villain down if possible and to force others to fold in hopes of cleaning my outs. When Villain 3-bet I put him on Aces, Kings, or Queens. Peel turn getting 22:1 or fold with 3 players yet to act?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: 4/8 Live otb with AKo

It's too big to let go at this point. And that turn card isn't likely to kick up any c/r's out of your other players. I call. If you hit A or K on the river you just increased the liklihood of facing QQ. If you miss, so be it. It's no longer a question of being right. It is a question of being lucky less than 5% of the time. Unless I am close to my busting out limit, at odds better than 20 to 1, I tend to hand around. If I am going to suck out on someone, I want it to be a BIG suckout. lol.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:11 PM

i completely do not understand the flop raise. do you think AJ or even A8 or A4 are folding? do you think you have the best hand?

you can see the river in this gigantic pot, but you could have spent a lot less money to do so.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM

I don't think raising the flop accomplishes much. The other players at the table are calling stations and this is not a scary flop. Many of them are probably going to peel so you are not limiting the field. Also, the pf raiser is saying that he has a huge hand as most players at 4/8 don't cap w/o AA or KK. I almost want to fold this hand but given the size of the pot, I probably peel one more although there is such a huge chance of being way behind the pf capper or reverse dominated by one of the other players.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 PM

I know I don't have the best hand. Even so, I raise the flop because I have position and am hoping to get others to fold and possibly pick up a free card on the turn. Most low limit players will check to me on turn when they see this much aggression even with pocket Aces fearing that I have a set of Jacks.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I don't have the best hand. Even so, I raise the flop because I have position and am hoping to get others to fold and possibly pick up a free card on the turn. Most low limit players will check to me on turn when they see this much aggression even with pocket Aces fearing that I have a set of Jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize what you're trying to do, and under the right circumstances, I would consider it myself. I just think a lot has to go right here for you to actually get a free card on the turn.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM

I call the flop and fold the turn here.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM

i'm calling the flop always here. every once in a while with a read i might spray a turn raise given the pot size, but usually i'll call and fold UI. that pot is HUGE.