Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: To those with serious live in girlfriends and wives

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's why my wife and I get the same allowance after all the bills are paid, rather than each just keeping what's left.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think when I get married, all the money will go into the same pot. We'll put X in savings, pay the bills, and split the rest. So completely 50/50.

Marriage to me is a COMPLETELY different ballgame from dating. Dating is having fun together. Marriage is building a life together on top.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 PM

probably any income goes directly into the joint account, and we'd each have a monthly allowance or whatever. maybe we'd just say [censored] it and have one joint account, after all our non-401k/roth investments are all in one joint account and that works fine.

I am curious how you guys who have all joint money deal with a poker bankroll, I would think it would be very stressful for my wife, who doesn't play cards, to have to deal with the same monetary swings I deal with. she knows this would be stressful for her, and insists on me keeping playing bankroll separate from our other finances.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am curious how you guys who have all joint money deal with a poker bankroll, I would think it would be very stressful for my wife, who doesn't play cards, to have to deal with the same monetary swings I deal with. she knows this would be stressful for her, and insists on me keeping playing bankroll separate from our other finances.

[/ QUOTE ]

My poker bankroll, small as it is, is kept in a separate bank account. My wife fully supports this because she knows I'm not gambling away the rent money.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[continuing to be amazed at guys supporting their GFs before getting married or even engaged]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't really seen anyone "supporting" their girlfriend, just paying >50%.

Look. I don't want to get married. I share my home, my time, and my vacations with her. The only options are to reduce my living arrangements, entertainment, and vacations to her spending level, or to pay more than she does. I don't see a better alternative, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about the guys who let/encouraged their GFs to move in with them and quit their jobs and do nothing, or work 10 hours a week at a boutique and not to any housework, etc. WTF?

I think buying a house and having a chick move in, pay part of the mortgage & bills, cook & clean & sex you up is a great arrangement.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 PM

My girlfriend and I have been dating for over 8 years and living together for almost 6 years. I think we're technically common law in 3 states.

When we were first living together, I made a lot more money than she did, so I paid for most things -- rent, going out, groceries. Then, I went to school and she started making much more money, so she was paying for most things except rent, which we split. Now, she makes a lot more than I do, so she pays for rent, going out, groceries. I chip in when I can, but since she makes 4x as much as I do, she seems to be ok with the situation for a little while.

In the entire time that we've been dating, we've never been a full two-person income household, as one of us has been in school or starting up a company (which is what I'm doing now).

Good luck in figuring it out!
Apoc
Old 03-22-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about the guys who let/encouraged their GFs to move in with them and quit their jobs and do nothing, or work 10 hours a week at a boutique and not to any housework, etc. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I should encourage my gf to quit her jobs when she goes back to school, leech off of me for 3 years, so I can return the favor for the following 5 or so years.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking I should encourage my gf to quit her jobs when she goes back to school, leech off of me for 3 years, so I can return the favor for the following 5 or so years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get that [censored] in writing, brah.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Generally I was better paid so I paid the majority. When I lived with a highly-paid mgmt consultant [mistake] we alternated rent and expenses every month.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM

me and my girlfriend both contribute 50% of our monthly income to a joint account that we use to cover all our household expenses. she is in med school and works varying amounts depending on how far behind in her studies she feels she is, and i'm a vagrant with no real job, so the amount varies month to month. i usually cover any shortfalls. when the account gets to ludicrous levels, we usually spend it all on going somewhere nice, or eating out or whatever.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My poker bankroll, small as it is, is kept in a separate bank account. My wife fully supports this because she knows I'm not gambling away the rent money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this same set-up. My poker bankroll is in a seperate bank in a seperate account. Although there have been times when poker was paying alot of the bills.

My wife and I have always thought about getting a joint account, but it would just cause fights. She is very anal about her record keeping. I have a tendency to be lax with keeping a checkbook. When we first moved in together she tried to do my checkbook. It was a source of huge frustration for the both of us. The seperate accounts and seperate bills works great. We both pay our bills on time and there are no arguments.