Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Bankroll

Ok, so I have a serious question here.

I am a mid-twenties guy who has been playing 4/8 hold'em and 5/10 omaha hi/lo for about three years and just recently went broke.

I am wondering what most people do when they go bust. I mean, i have a decent job and can pay the major bills, but my poker roll is completely gone for probably the next six months. What does everyone do while they can't play?

I thought about the free bar poker, but that is such a crap shoot. Then i thought about reading poker books and stuff like that to learn, but that only makes me want to play more! Any suggestions would be appreciated

GL ALL [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Bankroll

Many small bankrolls over an extended period is the same as one big bank. The only difference is interruptions during play while you raise more money. Figure out the total amount of money you will be able to devote to poker out of your regular earnings for the next three years. Each time you get together a small playing stake, play to that level (your expected 3 year contribution) even though you do not have the full amount. If you go broke then just sit out, study, etc, until you have another session stake.

Going down to lower stakes is not good unless your skill level is not up to par for the level you have been playing. Constantly changing the play levels significantly increases the long run index (time needed to have a strong certainty of being ahead) because you have to win back more bets than you lost when playing lower. Playing at your regular level with your session stakes you raise along the way will do two things: you will increase your chance of going broke again quickly but also increase your chance of regaining your lost stake quickly.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Bankroll

Thanks emerson....I don't think i'm out of my playing league at the current stakes so i'll stick with them, I just hit a bad spell...I appreciate the info...

GL