Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Does being a whore mean you are a psychopath?

I don't know what to say to your post. It's so different from the way I view the world that it got me thinking about things.

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t like my above paragraph because I focused the attention onto me instead of addressing his problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be hesitant to express yourself and let him know who you are; what he's probably craving more than anything is a connection with someone, a sense of something sane and grounded and stable. He doesn't just want problems solved and questions answered, he wants to know more about himself and his family (meaning you), to help him figure out his identity and make sense of a haphazard life. So I wouldn't be afraid to express your thoughts and talk about yourself; your heart seems in the right place.

Best of luck with it. I also think it's appalling that a marijuana conviction (or any conviction) would bar you seeing family in prison.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 AM

The most common sets of criteria for evaluating psychopathy are the DSM-IV and the PCL-R.

Most prostitutes (and lesbians) are not psychopaths.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m deemed a bad influence on account of a marijuana arrest that I had, so I can’t visit him in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for the 8th and 14th Amendments. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I would say that being a whore definitely doesn't make one a psychopath, but it's possible that psychopaths are more likely to become whores.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most prostitutes (and lesbians) are not psychopaths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of funny that someone needed to point that out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yukon -
My advice is not particularly meaningful or informed, but I'll toss it out anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
1) I wouldn't include the part about 'I don't even know if I'm your father, i just want to help, etc'. If he thinks you are his father, then to him you ARE...this statement sounds like an abondment. Maybe it's something to say later in your relationship, but I wouldn't start off this way. I'm just thinking how it would feel if I ended up in prison and wrote my father, and he wrote back 'hey, I don't even know i AM your father'.

2)I wouldn't say anything negative about the mother...I can't tell what her behavior was like, but it sounds like she had some mental issues, rather than 'choosing' to be a prostitute...

3) I wouldn't worry too much about any of it. Just getting a thoughtful letter will probably make him pretty happy.

Edit: It might help you and/or make you feel better to talk this over with a psychologist. Maybe a family one. Not saying to go regularly, just to go to discuss this. They can be pretty cheap, and sometimes free depending on your situation, where you live, etc.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM

I think your question needs more specification if you want a clearer answer. Why is she a whore? Does she enjoy being a whore, have respect for her body but just likes sex and wants to make some cash for the little 'extra' things in life? Or is she more like a dirty crack whore looking to feed her addictions, careless, dis-eased, and confused?

A psychopath is just someone who identifies with their mind. Psycho, path, psycho meaning mental, path being path. There are different degrees of psychoticism because there are different degrees of addiction. Functioning addicts, face in the toilet addicts etc.

Whore doesn't equal psychopath. You could be a professional prostitute and be sane. It has to do more with the quality of your mind.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi,
Thanks everybody. Your insights on what to include or not to include in my first letter and how to handle the situation in general have been very helpful. I'm at least calmed down about the situation. It sort of hit me like a sledgehammer. So thanks again. I'll quit trying to walk on china, and just write him a nice letter.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 PM

You can mention the mother briefly, but that definitely shouldn't be the focus of the letter. He's only mentioning it as she was the obstacle that kept him from meeting you. Just mention that you'd like to establish a connection with him and that you support him through the mistakes he's made.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM

http://mediamatters.org/items/200703210018
Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your question needs more specification if you want a clearer answer. Why is she a whore? Does she enjoy being a whore, have respect for her body but just likes sex and wants to make some cash for the little 'extra' things in life? Or is she more like a dirty crack whore looking to feed her addictions, careless, dis-eased, and confused?

A psychopath is just someone who identifies with their mind. Psycho, path, psycho meaning mental, path being path. There are different degrees of psychoticism because there are different degrees of addiction. Functioning addicts, face in the toilet addicts etc.

Whore doesn't equal psychopath. You could be a professional prostitute and be sane. It has to do more with the quality of your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, "path" comes from the root of "pathos," suffering. Second, the etymology doesn't define the term. "Psychopathic" and "psychotic" mean two very different things, and are well-defined clinically. Addiction is not a form of psychosis (and is certainly not indicative of psychopathy). Sanity is something else altogether, and is primarily used in a legal context.