Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Poker = A legitimate profession - Help me PROVE please?

Try likening it - that it being professional poker - to being a professional golfer (or any other sport). You are good at something and you get rewarded for that ability. It's true as PoorTom said that you are going to face issues as to your overall contribution to society. Many professions/activities such as futures trading and playing sport are usually done for pure gain by the principals - but in most cases there are some external benefits - albeit minor ones. In the case of futures traders (who are trading/speculating assets both tangible and intangible for pure gain) the argument usually rests in the liquidity benefits they provide the financial markets. In the case of professional sports persons the argument probably lies along the lines of they provide entertainment - an argument that the tournament poker players could also try. And, to a lesser extent, cash game players.

Perhaps a better argument the said family member should put to you is this - that you are not maximising your ability and wealth. All the time and effort (and display of intelligence) you are putting into poker to make $50k/year could be better put towards something else more lucrative. I know this is the issue that troubles me (along with not being good enough!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Good luck

Another troubled parasite. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]