FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ?
Prof 2outer 12 19.05%
Tuffy 51 80.95%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: OT-Teaching a friend to beat sngs in one day

[ QUOTE ]
Haha my 15 year old bro is an incredibe card player, state champion of magic the gathering. My mom said that if i teach him how to play poker tho she would never speak to me again. Pokers for the devil.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should teach him anyway. I loved playing Magic, but it's a waste of time because even the best make almost no money compared to poker.

If you don't teach him Poker now he'll learn it by himself in a few years, like almost all Magic players do, and he'll regret not having learned earlier (like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 PM

I know I look like a big nub asking this, but what is SNGPT?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM

The thing about poker,(yes im including sngs as poker-flame me) and what you can't teach, is that it takes multiple character traits to succeed at it.

Yes, being smart helps, but intelligence without the other essential traits isn't enough.

These include patience, timely aggression, and mental toughness.

you have don't have patience you will leak money with marginal hands. if you dont have timely aggression you will miss out of big pots and allow people to catch up when your ahead, if you arent mentally strong, you will tilt away all your money or give up after a nasty downswing.

with the mental toughness thing, it gets a little complicated. Plenty of strong people might not succeed at poker, its just a different kind of constituion that can handle losing vast amount of money and not let it effect their play.

teaching someone to beat sngs in 8 hours seems a little absurd to me.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my normal mode. If I get lucky early and have enough chips to make it to the bubble without being completely desperate, I do let the morons knock each other out. Then I push one time, get called by the moron with the biggest stack, and I bust out.

I've tried loosening up a little early and I've tried playing some post flop. It doesn't really matter. It might get me one more or one less orbit before push/fold time, but it always comes. Then when I push, I get called, and when I get called, I bust out. I realize nobody believes me, but I get called 40% of the times I push, and then I only win 45% of those.

I can't see how it's mathematically possible for me to be a winning player unless I can find a way to correct that. Flipping coins would be more profitable.

I get sucked out on significantly more often than I suck out, about 5% difference. While I barely beat overcards with a pair, I am substantially below where it should be. When I have overcards, I beat pairs at a rate far below what it should be. Even pairs vs one overcard is out of whack, about 7%.

And please don't anybody bother with the snide remarks. You can ridicule me all you want, but I have the stats and they don't lie.

I believe the math, but I'm not going to make it to the long run. The almost universal belief here that you can teach anyone to beat SnGs in a few hours, and the steady stream of noobs coming on, complaining about their 20% ROI and asking how they can improve, is really starting to wear me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guthrie,

This has been going on for a very long time, I guess?

And you've even done this.

[ QUOTE ]
When you've played 1,000 SnGs, at 3% ROI, I'd think it would help to look at all those hands and see if your lousy ROI was a result of bad play, or bad luck. If it was bad luck, continue doing what you're doing and it will come around. If it was bad play, then make adjustments.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was your quote from that thread.

I'm only pointing this out because even after 5 months or whatever and 3000 SNGs or whatever, you either didn't follow your own good advice, or are the unluckiest guy around. I'm betting it's the former.