Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL STARS REGS THREAD***

[ QUOTE ]
Playing tighter -> relatively better hands -> go to showdown more often with often the best hand. It's that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing relatively tight over last 25k hands, and I frequently lose big pots when I get money in very good. It's not that simple.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM

running bad is running bad, nothing you can do about that.

but i seem to remember that most hsnl folks used to think that a W$SD of around 47-48 was ideal. higher than that would mean you're not bluffing enough, or just need to be more aggro generally.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM

im playing really bad right now, should probably just stick to tourneys for awhile.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For as much as you goto showdown, you def win a ridiculously high %.

[/ QUOTE ]

That confirmed my suspiscions that he is just running good and is prob more around 3-4PTBB/100.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys....

The AJ vs 79 2279x board...
Boards like that are boards where neither player typically has much. Admittedly, situations such as these are the ones that often give me lots of trouble. The 2nd bet on the turn is definitely one of those "it depends" situations. Unfortunately I don't remember the hand so I can't comment on what I may have been thinking while I played it.

On Jigsaws hands w/me...

Let me preface this by saying both of those hands were played while I was very, very tilty....

On the JJ hand... When I hit the J on the turn, I felt the check was appropriate. I'm not getting away from QQ, nor am I getting away from AA or KK if they redraw. AA and KK will get it all in with me on the river in almost every case even if they don't redraw. Since we know this hand is getting to showdown against AA,KK and QQ, win or lose, no matter how I play the turn, we need to figure out how to get value from other holdings.

If I shove the turn, I'll fold out AK and and smaller pocket pairs that have missed. However, if I check the turn, I give smaller pocket pairs (which admittedly may or may not be in your range here) a chance to improve. I also give you a chance to bluff with hands like unimproved pocket pairs or a whiffed AK. I probably stack AQ on almost any river also.

I really think I get a lot more value from this hand here by giving the free card. Unfortunately, the only card I didn't really consider hititng on the river was another Q. Bad for me because now AA and KK might chicken out, and AQ just pulled back ahead. I probably should have been able to get away from your shove on the river, as my hand is basically a bluff catcher at this point, but given the way I was playing and my state at the time, I decided to "put you on bluff" and call.

The KQ hand I called his check raise on the flop because I thought I could take the pot away from him on the turn. My gut was that didn't have a monster/wouldn't play it that fast at me there. Was just a gut level instinct.If I'm right, I get to flash a sick bluff at him, if I'm wrong, I stack off drawing thin or dead. This time I was right.

On my looser style that a few have commented on. Without checking, I think I'm running around 25/23 lately. I suppose I could play nittier and avoid some marginal situations that get me into trouble, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much. This is the style I've sort of evolved into and it's comfortable for me. It puts me into many more situations where I need to make good decisions to save bets when behind and make extra bets when ahead. If I'm playing well and I'm causing my opponents to make more mistakes than me, this is a good thing. If not, it is a very bad thing.

Thanks for the input guys.

-Murph
Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM

is 42 w$sd pretty good?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM

So what the hell's with TerrySchaivo, I can't even tell if they're good because the avatar is so annoying.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

is 42 w$sd pretty good?

[/ QUOTE ]

If these are your stats, I suggest moving down.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what the hell's with TerrySchaivo, I can't even tell if they're good because the avatar is so annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I weird that the misspelled name tilts me way more than the avatar?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM

i laughed when i saw that screen name/avatar for the first time. does that make me evil?
Closed Thread