Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Tougher Games... 6 week losing streak Normal?

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP BUMPING THIS TRASH TO THE FRONT PAGE
Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP BUMPING THIS TRASH TO THE FRONT PAGE

[/ QUOTE ]
DONT KNOW
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 AM

During those six weeks your friend was either a donk running normally or a winning player running abnormally. There is cearly a 50% chance that this is normal.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 AM

This one time I got dealt kings playing $5/$10 NL and got reraised preflop, just as I'm about to go all-in the internet crashes so I curse loudly and repeatedly, my dad comes storming into my room because my yelling woke him up and without saying a word he punches me in the mouth and then goes back to bed
MORAL OF THE STORY- DON'T MAKE ME PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH FOR BICHING ABOUT LOSING AT CARDS
Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 AM

Hey Info,

When I'm in bad streaks, I tend to do the following:

- Take a few days off. Yes, even if I come back and lose some more. It's v v important IMO to clear your head of losing streaks, cuz losing streaks effect your decisions mentally, and you don't need that mindset clouding your judgment when you're faced with some tough decisions.

- Tighten up a bit preflop. Yeah it might give up some EV, but oh well, it's gonna simplify things and help you get back on track without as much swings.

- Book a win. I know it's usually frowned upon to do this, but, I do it if I haven't won much lately, and think it helps me for future sessions because I get the winning swagger back. The way how poker works is winning begets winning, and losing begets losing. Additionally, especially since your friend is playing on smaller stakes tables, quit tables quickly if you're losing, and stay on the ones you're winning at. Image is everything.

There is your serious response you were hoping for. Not much else to tell him -- who knows if he's still playing winning poker or not. These things above though should help him go back in the right direction.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Image is everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 PM

from the sounds of your angsty emo posts im guessing your "friend" is tilting pretty bad
Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Info,

When I'm in bad streaks, I tend to do the following:

- Take a few days off. Yes, even if I come back and lose some more. It's v v important IMO to clear your head of losing streaks, cuz losing streaks effect your decisions mentally, and you don't need that mindset clouding your judgment when you're faced with some tough decisions.

- Tighten up a bit preflop. Yeah it might give up some EV, but oh well, it's gonna simplify things and help you get back on track without as much swings.

- Book a win. I know it's usually frowned upon to do this, but, I do it if I haven't won much lately, and think it helps me for future sessions because I get the winning swagger back. The way how poker works is winning begets winning, and losing begets losing. Additionally, especially since your friend is playing on smaller stakes tables, quit tables quickly if you're losing, and stay on the ones you're winning at. Image is everything.

There is your serious response you were hoping for. Not much else to tell him -- who knows if he's still playing winning poker or not. These things above though should help him go back in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sir! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 PM

If he wont take a break from the game whilst on a 6 week downer cause he is an adict then he is just punishing himself all the more and might never recover a good enough game to get back to where he was. He HAS to take a break for all the reasons Schneids says to regain focus and realise where he going wrong.

No he cannot be on a 6 week losing run, at his stakes, playing a good number of hands if his game is not riddled with huge leaks.

The main problem with bad runs is that until you take that break you will be starting every session with a negative mindset. This leads to bad decision making, calling when he should be raising or folding. Folding when he should call, bluffing when he has little fold equity etc, etc.

Also he should reduce tables and focus on playing less tables better. Just dropping from 6 to 4 tables for a while and focusing more on reads should make a lot of the bad decisions dissapear.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This one time I got dealt kings playing $5/$10 NL and got reraised preflop, just as I'm about to go all-in the internet crashes so I curse loudly and repeatedly, my dad comes storming into my room because my yelling woke him up and without saying a word he punches me in the mouth and then goes back to bed
MORAL OF THE STORY- DON'T MAKE ME PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH FOR BICHING ABOUT LOSING AT CARDS

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think that the guy who reraised you had AA, and if net didn't disconnect you would lose the money at the table, then you would scream even louder, then your dad would come to your room faster, and punch you in the face more times and with more power each time...so I guess you were lucky [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]