Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Default I was watching Phil Ivy on Poker After Dark...

I wast watching Poker After Dark off and on and saw Phil Ivy play three hands. The very first hand of the tournament he had Q 10. He flopped top pair with the queen and ended up with trip queens after the river. Another hand I saw him play he had pocket sixes he hit a six on the flop for trips. Sammy Farhah hit a straight. The both went all in. Ivy got runner runner Queens to make his full house. The very next hand Ivy flopped another full house.

I know this is just a few isolated hands but if you watch Ivy a lot you see this a lot.

Again, I'm not trying to take away from his skill. I'm just saying he is probably doing pretty good in the luck factor area also.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: I was watching Phil Ivy on Poker After Dark...

do you need a hug?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM

Well all of those pre-flop hands are drawing hands (I assume the last hand you watched was also a low pocket pair? If it had been aces or kings, you would have said so, probably.) so he got top pair-medium kicker on the first one. so what - not usually good enough to win a hand with if your opponent decides to take it to the river. On the second one, Farha was ahead, but Ivey made a good call, since 1) he had a set and 2) boards pair up often making the chance of getting a full house good. On the third hand, flopping a full house doesn't happen that much, but think about how often that happens, you bet and everybody folds - how useful is that full house then?

What you don't tell us, or what the editors decided to cut because it was boring TV, are the 27 hands (whatever number) which followed, which Ivey folded pre-flop.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM

some guy with AQ rivered trip Qs on my AA earlier today, i bet phil ivey was using his computer.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wast watching Poker After Dark off and on and saw Phil Ivy play three hands. The very first hand of the tournament he had Q 10. He flopped top pair with the queen and ended up with trip queens after the river. Another hand I saw him play he had pocket sixes he hit a six on the flop for trips. Sammy Farhah hit a straight. The both went all in. Ivy got runner runner Queens to make his full house. The very next hand Ivy flopped another full house.

I know this is just a few isolated hands but if you watch Ivy a lot you see this a lot.

Again, I'm not trying to take away from his skill. I'm just saying he is probably doing pretty good in the luck factor area also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a well known fact that the game of poker is rigged in favor of Phil Ivey.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM

this is like the dumbest post ever .. everyone gets lucky once in a while
Old 03-21-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!! Like I said not taking away from his skill. Just showing he gets lucky too! It's not 100% skill.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!! Like I said not taking away from his skill. Just showing he gets lucky too! It's not 100% skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
it's not? really? <font color="white">I hate OP so much </font>
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. Your point wasn't that Phil Ivey gets lucky once in a while like everyone else, it was that Phil Ivey regularly gets more than his fair share of luck... and to help prove this, you cited a few lucky hands that you saw him play on TV. Hardly what I would call proof. (And incidentally, if in fact you _were_ just trying to prove that Phil gets runs of luck like everyone else, then this post really has no point at all.)
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM

man OP is getting annoying