Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Vegas Tournaments during WSOP (non-Rio)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last year the Bellagio ran 1000s instead of 500s everyday during the WSOP. And they ran 2 1000s a day during the Bellagio Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bellagio Cup goes for a portion of the WSOP time? Like two-three weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I'm pretty sure last year they overlapped a little bit. The Main Event of the Bellagio Cup might have been after the WSOP, but I definately remember busting from a post-ME $1500 at Rio and heading to the Bellagio for a $1k tourney. Also the 2nd chance tournies during the prelim events at the Rio play pretty bad and are in the $500 range.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

The daily at the Bellagio is a great tournament. $1000 buy in, great structure, alternates, bad players. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 AM

i know this isn't vegas, but I remember the Bike last year running the Mini Series of Poker, where they mimicked the WSOP schedule, except they were only 10% of the entry prices..
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the WSOP you can pay $2000 for T2000 chips with 60 minute rounds and a one in 1000 chance at a bracelet with 1000 entries and first prize of over 300 grand, or pay $550 for T10000 and 40 minute rounds at V and no chance at a bracelet and field a fraction of the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the important differences.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bracelet? Blah. It'd just be annoying to become a WSOP bracelet winner in one of the donkier events; well, other than winning the cash--unlike all the silly pro's babbling about "it's not the money, it's the bracelet", for me it's the money that matters and the bracelet is a mostly meaningless bauble. When Jennifer Tilley ranks among the bracelet holders, the significance is lost.

And the variance playing crap-shoot structured events with 2000 players is higher than I like. If that's your preference, ok, but if I have a $3K tourney budget I would much rather play 9 $340 events with a great structure and 250 players than a single $3000 event with similar structure and 2000 players. I generally aim for the lowest-priced tourney that has the best structure for the price. Two years ago, there weren't any very good tourneys (Mirage and Bellagio were about it). Now we have Caesars's and Venetian and Wynn doing very nice daily events. So I don't have to enter big dollar events anymore to get a non-donkfest tourney.

I did the "enter a couple WSOP bracelet events" thing a couple years ago and learned I didn't like it much. Just put a $5K hole in my bank for which I got about 6 hours of play. So for me the WSOP is about what it does to the cash games and smaller tourneys around town, not about the bracelet events. And since that was OP's original topic, I shared my thoughts. If you're a bracelet chaser, good luck, have fun, yaddayadda; I'll see ya in the side games.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 AM

BTW the WSOP did announce that this year they were doubleing the number of starting chips. So in a $2000 event you get 4k chips. This should make the WSOP events a little bit more skill based.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW the WSOP did announce that this year they were doubleing the number of starting chips. So in a $2000 event you get 4k chips. This should make the WSOP events a little bit more skill based.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?? REALLY??? Damn! I gotta think about this again.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 AM

Yes they did a press releaase last week. Increased starting chips,never 11 handed tables, changed bubble play back to hand for hand instead of the round BS, and they are setting up for 10k players in the ME but will take everyone that shows up. I read this on Card players web site but I'm sure it's on the WSOP site also.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Bellagio will be holding a series of daily tournaments coinciding with the WSOP schedule, similar to the Bellagio Cup of the past couple years - this I know for a fact.

Between Bellagio's series, Venetian's deep stacks, and Caesars' mid-price tournies, there'll be alot of competition for the tournament dollar this summer.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The daily at the Bellagio is a great tournament. $1000 buy in, great structure, alternates, bad players. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I really loved these when I was there, people's late game play was attrocious.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and no chance at a bracelet and field a fraction of the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the Venetian does give out very nice trophies for all of their daily events, serves the same purpose as a bracelet. It's just not a "bracelet".