Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Default can i build a roll from 4, 80$ buy ins at 2-4 limit on stars?

imma pretty good limit player and i know 4 buy ins isnt much to work with and its not the best way to play the roll but i cant play 1-2 anymore im just not into it.
i have a fulltime job that does not pay the best but it is a regular income. i dont have time to grind out 1-2. and more importantly the patience. ive played the 2-4 here and there 3 tabling and have done well, but didnt stay disciplined and ended up playin 5-10 when i got bored.
i feel it will be hard for me to lose 4, 80$ buy ins in a row? and the big questions i really need answers to is:
1) how much is a good amount to make per week only playin 2-4?
2) can ya make a descent second income off 2-4
3) what would be the ideal roll for this limit that would make me unbustable.
4) do ya think its possible to build a real roll outta 4, buy ins.
5) is there anyone that makes aliving off multi-tabling 2-4 limit.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: can i build a roll from 4, 80$ buy ins at 2-4 limit on stars?

I think Bicyclekick built his bankroll form $.17 that he won in a freeroll, and he took it to the .02/.04 game.

He was admittedly a little underbankrolled for that game, but he ran good from the beginning.

On other midstakes player ran a free fifty on one of the european sites into a 15-30 bankroll in less than a month.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM

didnt jesus build a $10 or $20K roll from zero $... working off of freerolls at first and then moving up gradually. i think it was an experiment.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 PM

I think he actually started with a $100 or something.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM

$30 --> $20K... sick.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 03-20-2007, 03:48 PM

I think you have some issues to work through if you get bored that easily. You say you want to play 2/4 but you can't play 1/2 cause you get bored. Then you say that when you played 2/4 you would jump up to 5/10 after a while. I really think you need to work on the mental aspect of the game before you proceed. You are playing way over your bankroll and don't seem to have realistic expections. Limit is a grind. No one is getting getting rich playing 2/4.
Also you really should be buying in for 25BB at 2/4 not 20BB like the Poker Stars has as the default buyin. (Don't know why they do that)

to answer your questions:
1) A good player will make 1.5 to 2 BB per hour/100. So however many table hrs/hands you play do the math.
2) Depends on what you consider decent.
3) Ideal would be $1200. I'd say unbustable (if your good) would be $1500
4) Anything's possible. But being realistic, no I don't think you could do it. Your playing with 100BB total and it's easy to lose that much in a downswing even if you play well. You would have to practice optimal game selection(which would cut down on the amount of hands/tables you could play) + plus you'd have to run well + you'd have to play well.
5) I don't think so.

While this may sound harsh, the questions you ask make me wonder how well you actually play. A decent player really wouldn't be asking questions like this. (Which it seems is why you've been ignored by the first few replies)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM

1)how many hands of 2/4 will you be playing?
2)depends on what you consider "decent".
3)unbustable? i guess a bankroll of infinity. 300-600BB usually works as well except for being "unbustable".(the more shorthanded/HU you play the closer to 600BB i would recommend).
4)anything's possible.
5)probably. i did back in '05.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

THANKS FOR THE TIME YA TOOK TO REPLY.
you are so right my mental game has been so fcked lately.
i started playin live poker first and had much success in no-limit 1-2bb, before i even knew what a out was. (12 winning seshions in a row couple hit and runs).
i studied and played atleast 4 days a week for 2 years. averaging 250-300 a week.
i then shattered my heel and was outta action for live play for six months. this is how i got into online play.
deposited on party first but then found my way to doyles room where i deposited 80$.
won a small tourney for a couple hundred. had my roll to around300$ and started playin 25-50 cent NL.
in 3 weeks of playin 25-50 exclusively (12-20hrs a day cuz i was layed up with a plate in my foot and couldnt walk) i had a a roll of 2100.
then here comes the mental part, one night start playin 3-6bb nl like a idiot and to make a long story short lost 1100$ in 1 sesh. i cashed out immediately and took a month off.
started getting into limit for the fact that there easier to multi table and it seemed like the NL games dried up a bit and no one wanted to bet after the flop enless they had the nuts. ive cashed out 2 checks for 450-550- from limit after depositing 120 each time playin 1-2 limit in the 6 months. the bottom line is i can grind it out at times but most of the time imma ticking time bomb just waiting to grind out 100$ in the 1-2lmhe and jump into a 5-10 game and go busto and then im like ahhh no big deal only 300$. but really im burning inside calling myself a gambler and not a poker player. i have been real disapointed in me blowing several 300-600$ rolls in the last while cuz i know if i grinded it out i could one day make to the limits i want to be at right?
i know my mental games been horrible lately and i posted hoping to get some criticsm so maybe i could snap outta it. i gotta 300$ roll for online play. what would ya suggest me do with it bankroll wise.1)play the 1-2lmhe
2)play the 50-1 lmhe
what ever you suggest i plan on practising my discipline above anything else.This is key to filling the biggest hole in my game.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)how many hands of 2/4 will you be playing?
2)depends on what you consider "decent".
3)unbustable? i guess a bankroll of infinity. 300-600BB usually works as well except for being "unbustable".(the more shorthanded/HU you play the closer to 600BB i would recommend).
4)anything's possible.
5)probably. i did back in '05.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks james your reply helps alot.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:54 PM

A good approach with $300 is start at .50-1.00. I can tell you from personal experience on Stars though that the .25-.50 games are very soft and good practice on beating loose passive/sometimes aggressive games. If your just coming over to limit from no limit, I'd say play .25-.50 for like 7.5k-10k hands or so, if nothing else so you can get the feel for it. It's a strange thing on Stars that it seems there are more maniacs in the .50-1.00 and 1-2( both the 30/20/3-4 type and the 70/40/inf, although the latter are usually laggy PreF and post flop they are not aggressive at all...weird). Just remember no matter where you decide to start dont move up too quick (an occasional poke at a really good game is ok) and dont be afraid to move down if you start dumping money.