Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: 30 BB shove from the SB Stars 50/r/a

[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys are thinking way way to tight here so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, but an unknown for all your chips... AK sure. TT+ sure. Other Aces and Kings no way. I know a lot of weak players who just like to push AK because they hate playing it postflop when they miss. I'd rather call JTs here and flip as a possible 45-55 dog than call off a random K and be a 30-70 dog. But I wouldn't call JTs either heh.

cjx
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only call aa or kk, nothing else. Only because this move is so obviously bad that he probably has aa. Its kinda strange I know but without a read why risk all your stack on a hunch. Thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad poker unless you are underrolled for the game

it's not a hunch... he's turning over ahand losing to Ax/KQs majority of the time IMHO.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 AM

so you are puttin all your chips at stake with ax or kq? Seems pretty bad to me. what if he has ak (which is extrememly likely). bye bye tourney. Maybe aa or kk is too tight but im the type of player who like to put all my chips in with a good feeling that I am ahead. Ax and kq dont give me that feeling. Also, your thinking that this guy is a donkey yet you have no proof of that. If your calling these crap hands, then you would be the bad player and he just sucked you into giving him all your chips.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so you are puttin all your chips at stake with ax or kq? Seems pretty bad to me. what if he has ak (which is extrememly likely). bye bye tourney. Maybe aa or kk is too tight but im the type of player who like to put all my chips in with a good feeling that I am ahead. Ax and kq dont give me that feeling. Also, your thinking that this guy is a donkey yet you have no proof of that. If your calling these crap hands, then you would be the bad player and he just sucked you into giving him all your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he IS a donkey unless he misclicked or something. There's really no reason to overbet the pot the way he did. However I do somewhat agree with you that I'd be tighter than Ax KQ as many are advocating here. Not to mention the fact that having this guy to your right may provide you a better oppurtunity than the 60-40 you might (or just as likely you're a 30-70 dog playing a dominated Ace) be getting right now.

cjx
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 AM

I was once watching a $100-$200 NL game with Dan Negran and some no name at pokerroom.com a few years ago. Dan was in sb and this other guy was on the button. Dan had about $23000 in chips and this other guy had around $20,000. Everyone folded and guy on button goes all in (I know cash vs tourney is a little different but similar thought processes). Dan thinks for a while and says let's gamble and turns over qq, button has aa and Dan leaves table. Im just showing that they guy isn't always a donkey when that move is made because like all of you, you presume he is weak. The more I hear you guys talk about it the more I'd like to try it if I do get aa or kk in that position.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM

When I see this I assume the hand is AK or a small to medium pocket pair and react accordingly. Sometimes it's AA and I get stacked.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:52 PM

In actual hand i held AJ and called.

Villain showed QT. GG villain.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only call aa or kk, nothing else. Only because this move is so obviously bad that he probably has aa. Its kinda strange I know but without a read why risk all your stack on a hunch. Thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl at folding QQ here. That is inconceivable. If he just happens to be even capable of doing this with KK or AA EVER (95%+ players aren't, including me), and this just happens to be one such instance, and we just happen to have QQ behind him in the BB... then gg us! Seriously, that's just ridiculous
Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 PM

Last time I looked up someone who shoved 20 bbs from sb, I looked him up w/ A9o. He was a relatively aggro player in the short span that we had played together and he had stolen my blind a couple times already. Anyways, A9 > AK. I went on to get 7th that tourney, I believe.

Anyways, for your hand, I prob call 88+/AJ+, though I prob chicken out w/ AJ/88 since you have no read.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 PM

I sometimes make massive overbets in the first 20-30 minutes after the add-on, but only ever with a monster. I've usually been quite manic during the re-buy period and i'm hoping people will be wanting to look me up and therefore be calling a lot.

In this spot i'd be worried that villain was thinking the same way and my range wud be v tight - 1010+,AK

If this was the same stacks and blinds after 70 minutes of a non re-buy i'd be more convinced that villain was a donkey and have a considerably wider calling range. It still wudna include K4 tho.