Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: C-bet worthless when flop missed?

C-betting like bluffing is something that works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. Saying that you should or shouldn't is all very circumstance based like all poker decisions.

For instance, take into account how the other players are likely to see you. Say you won a big hand earier and bet in a similar fashion, players will be weary of the bet and more likely to fold. From session to session your table image will be different and it's about taking advantage of those situations.

I often play online and recognise a few of the same names, we basically do the same kinds of plays and exploit the weak players. If I go heads up with one of the regulars I can make them fold with a decent sized bet if I'm first to act. Though the same play won't work against an unfamiliar player.

Of course you could also be betting into someone elses made hand or good draw. If they called your pre-flop raise then how do you know they've not got a high pocket pair?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: C-bet worthless when flop missed?

Why are you cbetting only half the pot anyway? Is that your normal post flop bet on a board like 589? Maybe on a board like K72r.

CBing is insanely profitable not only because when you DO use it, if you use it on the right boards at the right time, not only do you usually win, but it makes your real hands pay off more.